Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2,770 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think there is an error in this pdf

http://www.ex-500.com/files/2006_EX500_Valve_Clearance_Adjustment.pdf

The author describes and in a photo shows the use of the "F" mark on the flywheel to do this procedure. The Kawasaki factory, Clymer, and Haynes manuals all say to use the "T" and "C" marks.

The "F" mark is used for testing the timing at idle and indicates 10 degrees BTDC. The crankshaft as viewed from the left side turns clockwise with the "F" mark appearing just before the "T" mark. The "F" mark can be seen directly in the middle of the window if a timing light is used at the factory idle speed of 1,200 rpm.

P

·
0 Posts
Yeah, this error was mentioned by someone else who was in the process of editing the PDF file, but hasn't finished it.

This needs to be taken care of. The original PDF author is MIA.

·
Registered
3,329 Posts
If you want to give me a list of changes I can re-author a new version. Anyone with adobe acrobat pro can, I'm just offering :p

P

·
0 Posts
Change the "F" mark reference to "T" mark in Step 20 in the PDF (page 12).

I'm going to open photoshop right now and change the "F" mark images.

P

·
0 Posts
Ok I've attached the picture to this post.

Only part that troubles me is Step 22 at this point. The mark on the camshaft sprocket might not line up like that anymore.

Attachments

S

·
0 Posts
I thought consensus was to ignore the marks because they are different and judge accordingly by valve position.

S

·
0 Posts
dragknee said:
yeah. when the lobes point up you're good to go. dont overthink it :)
This. I would just get rid of the lining up the letters thing completely. stems a lot of confusion.

P

·
0 Posts
smith.p.sean said:
I thought consensus was to ignore the marks because they are different and judge accordingly by valve position.
You're asking people who know **** about **** to "judge accordingly." That's no good.

Kahooli said:
If you want to give me a list of changes I can re-author a new version. Anyone with adobe acrobat pro can, I'm just offering :p
Do it already, and tell Knightslugger so he can change the Admin post in the How-To section.

·
Registered
3,329 Posts
was waiting for a consensus between your three.
I'll do it today or tomorrow.

P

·
0 Posts
And then we'll need someone to re-link it at the Wiki article which, btw, is an incomplete article that kinda stops short and then just links to the PDF and video. I think the PDF info should just be transferred into the Wiki in general, but still kept as a downloadable file as well for printout purposes.

·
Administrator
25,179 Posts
Pogo said:
And then we'll need someone to re-link it at the Wiki article which, btw, is an incomplete article that kinda stops short and then just links to the PDF and video. I think the PDF info should just be transferred into the Wiki in general, but still kept as a downloadable file as well for printout purposes.
I agree.

·
Registered
372 Posts
This effort is very much appreciated.

The PDF error led me to do the valve clearance check twice. Kind of a PITA, and I blame myself for following directions slavishly without thinking. That said, clearing up this error will help folks in the future.

P

·
0 Posts
Queequeg said:
This effort is very much appreciated.

The PDF error led me to do the valve clearance check twice. Kind of a PITA, and I blame myself for following directions slavishly without thinking. That said, clearing up this error will help folks in the future.
Fortunately it's not disastrous, and as others have said the cam lobes are facing away at both points so the valves should be the same. But for accuracy's sake it's pretty important.

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
FOG cussed me out repeatedly over the phone about this misunderstanding. i kept thinking i was going to screw **** up when i was doing my timing, and why i couldnt get the lobes off of the rocker arms with the "F' in the window

"dont worry about the dod gamm marks on nothing. keep your 24 pins right, and then check your valves with the lobes off of the rockers."

S

·
0 Posts
cathoholic said:
FOG cussed me out repeatedly over the phone about this misunderstanding. i kept thinking i was going to screw **** up when i was doing my timing, and why i couldnt get the lobes off of the rocker arms with the "F' in the window

"dont worry about the dod gamm marks on nothing. keep your 24 pins right, and then check your valves with the lobes off of the rockers."
lol :)

·
Registered
11,741 Posts
In 5th grade they gave us all a test.

It had 35 questions starting with the date , name, stupid non imortant questions, then the last question was the instruction of "you are to write nothing on this piece of paper except your name, do not answer any questions. The more questions you answer them more points will be taken off your grade for this assignment" the whole class including myself spent 20 minutes filling the thing out, calculating, thinking, running to the pencil sharpener, etc.

My point is the marks, their mistakes, etc is all unnecessary instruction that can only delay your project and cause your time to be wasted.

All anyone has to remember is; adjust valves at opposite lobe position. That's it!

·
Registered
6,107 Posts
The PDF file is not editable. There was however a note added to the Wiki (where this is linked from) so readers of this should be aware of this error. There are also posts in the thread (where this is also linked from) saying the same thing.

P

·
0 Posts
FloridaEX500 said:
In 5th grade they gave us all a test.

It had 35 questions starting with the date , name, stupid non imortant questions, then the last question was the instruction of "you are to write nothing on this piece of paper except your name, do not answer any questions. The more questions you answer them more points will be taken off your grade for this assignment" the whole class including myself spent 20 minutes filling the thing out, calculating, thinking, running to the pencil sharpener, etc.

My point is the marks, their mistakes, etc is all unnecessary instruction that can only delay your project and cause your time to be wasted.

All anyone has to remember is; adjust valves at opposite lobe position. That's it!
Your story was a terrible way to make your point. That or you left out the details in your story that help it to actually make sense.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts