Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How can I go about converting a motorcycle engine to run on Ethanol?

·
Registered
216 Posts
Research what the big 3 do for their E85 vehicles. Some fuel metering tweaking and then all of the fuel delivery must be non-corrosive starting with the tank. I recall they use stainless steel tanks on the cars.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Stainless tanks because alcohol attracts water!

E85 is just coming to our locality. It's lower priced to "compensate" for it's lower efficiency but that doesn't make sense to me. Being cheaper the gas companies are either giving E85 away, or just reducing the profit margin temporarily. Makes me wonder what the companies would charge if there were more cars burning Moonshine85.

·
Registered
496 Posts
i had an M85 (methanol) chevy lumina. it had stainless lines, tank, different injectors, different plugs, some sort of monitor system, and the vaccuum reserve was different too.

being carb'd i would think maybe the jets would need to be stainless..?

can i ask why you would do this? i havent seen any real evidence pointing to better gas mileage. just cleaner emissions. in my lumina i got about half as much per tank, with no felt performance gains..but again, thats old technology, maybe the E85 is a bit diffferent.

F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I had considered it simply for the benefit of cleaner emissions. I don't think I will now however because it does not seem worth it. There are much simpler and more effective ways to preserve the environment :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts