Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok, i checked out the search button, but i'd like to get some direct input (preferrably from someone who's got the mod done) on doing the mod to my '90 EX. the issues i'm thinking are:

1. on the front wheel, the rotor will swap sides, shrink an inch in diameter... but uses the same caliper/pads. should the caliper change too, since the rotation direction is opposite? it also appears like i'll need to change the forks, because of the rotor side swap. is it possible i could just mount the wheel backwards (keep the rotor on the original side) and keep my caliper and forks?

2. on the rear, i'll have to find a way to mount the rear master cylinder and brake pedal assembly, the rear caliper, and get the 250R wheel to fit.

so i'm thinking the parts i'll need are:

definite:

250R wheels/brake rotors.
250R or 500R? rear master cylinder/brake pedal linkage
250R or 500R? rear caliper mount

possible:
front caliper from 250R or 500R
front forks from 250R or 500R

i feel like i should make a note that i would like to keep the stock wheel size, at least the diameter. also, i prefer the design of the 250R wheels to that of the 500R, and definitely over the design of the EX wheels. that's not to say that i want to put 250R wheels on my 500R also, i just would like the brake upgrade, and the different design of the wheels on my EX. thanks in advance for any useful information and advice... as of right now, this is primarily an info-gathering mission, i'd like to see how much of a hassle it's going to be to source and install the necessary parts to make this happen.

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
Isn't the 250 brakes designed to handle a lighter bike therefore making your 'upgrade' an actual downgrade in performance ?

I'm thinking you would be better to find a front fork and rear swingarm from a 2nd gen 500. they bolt on to the same frame making it a no-sweat swap.

*I think, feel free to correct me, haven't attempted this myself but it may be in my future*

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i knew that was coming :) i suppose i might go for that if the pieces can be had at the right price... the more i think about it the less i feel like going through all the trouble... heck, i'm not feeling that great about the valve adjustments i have coming up! that's mostly because i JUST got the EX back together after about 1.5 months of downtime due to tank rust.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
how about a little bump for the holiday weekend!

i've got a spare set of 250R wheels now. i'm really interested in making this work. will the 250R rear swingarm fit on the 500 without other modifications? that would make it very easy to mount the 250R brake caliper/bracket. i'd still have to find the necessary brake pedal/master cylinder mount, master cylinder, and bracket. i guess if i really want to get into it i can try taking things apart and test fitting them, but that's labor intensive and takes two bikes out of the equation until i'm done fiddle-farting around.

this could be fun :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts