Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well i was looking for a 500 but a friend of mine put me in touch with someone selling a 2002 250. I know this is a 500 forum but since i am new to the motorcycle scene i thought I would ask the question and hopefully get some good advice.
1. is a 250 to weak (I am getting a bike for commuting in stop and go traffic 10 - 20 miles a day)
2. he is asking 1800 for a 2002 kawasaki 250 that has 5000 miles on it. is this too much? ( i went to the motorcycle blue book page and they sent me back email, but it only said what it was worth new in 2002 2,900 something like that.)

The only bikes i have rode in the past are 250 dirt bikes and recently a 250 07 yamaha enduro so i really cant compare with a 500.
Thanks for anyone who replies.

·
Registered
263 Posts
if mpg is important than 250 definitely has the advantage, we get around 50 mpg but 250s get 70-80mpg. pls correct me if i am wrong, i sometimes am.

·
Registered
6 Posts
dmccoy said:
2. he is asking 1800 for a 2002 kawasaki 250 that has 5000 miles on it. is this too much? ( i went to the motorcycle blue book page and they sent me back email, but it only said what it was worth new in 2002 2,900 something like that.)
Check NADA, www.nadaguides.com and Kelly Blue Book, www.kbb.com, the price may be high, depending upon where you live.

·
Registered
59 Posts
As far as power is concerned, I just got a 500 and it's definitely not "too" powerful to learn on. I find it very forgiving and I'm a beginner. I'm 200 or so, and it's quite gentle in low RPMs - I can tell though in the higher revs it's going to rock once I get through my breakin period.

Good luck.

Jon

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Both 500 and 250 are great beginer bikes. I think the big thing for you is to sit on both a 500 and a 250 and see which one you feel more comfortable on. The 250 does get better mileage but you will have to push it harder then the 500 for highway speeds.

prices of bike has more to do with how good of shape they are in then the mileage and year made, or at least it should. $1,800 sounds like a good price for a clean bike, but a bad price for a POS if you know what I mean. Use the search option and read up on what to look for when buying a new bike, there was just a thread a little while ago. Don't rush into a decision, there will be other bikes if you are not 100% a certain bike is for you, especially with the 250-500. They can be found all the time.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well, I was sent pictures of the 250, the only problem he said is the previous owner he bought it from cracked the front faring, its a big 12" crack. I was thinking maybe 1500 for the bike as it sets. I guess my question is how costly is replacement of the front faring or can it be repaired. Also he said he has not drove it in like 6 months other than the occasional start up. and the oil was changed last august. any thoughts.?

·
Registered
308 Posts
i dunno, maybe its just me (esp being new to bikes) but that sounds like too much IMO. you can get a NEW 250 for about 3000 from a dealer. thats with 0 miles and no damage. 5000 miles isnt THAT much, but its 5000 more than brand new. and 5000 miles in 5 years sounds like it wasnt ridden very much. im almost at 3000 and ive had mine less than a year. adding to all that the front fairing that will need to be replaced, your looking at a pretty good chunk of change for a new fairing, and thats without paint which sure aint cheap. you could easily spend $500 on fixing the damage. or...you could just deal with the milage, take off the fairing and streetfighter the thing.

then again i could be wrong

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
yeah i was debating the issue of a new one being around 3000. I read some advice that i thought to be good on one of these forums, someone said if they could give one piece of adice to a new rider is to buy a used bike. I'm not saying I will dump it over but being new it is a possibity and I would hate to buy a brand new bike only to damage it shortly after. not sure yet what I am going to do.....

·
Registered
145 Posts
1800 for a good condition 250 is a steal around where i live
the 250 has an excellent forum faq http://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/Main_Page

technically, id think anybike is forgiving if you stay off the throttle
it only took me 3-1/2 months to crash my 500 while being to aggressive in a turn

*im still glad i got the 500 though
just wish i would have had some summer gear

1 - 11 of 11 Posts