Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone seen a project like this before? It seems that the narrow 500 ex engine along with reasonably light weight would make for an intersting dual purpose mount. I have also noticed the klr 250 also has 36mm front fork tubes? It sure has me thinking this could be my next project. If anyone has any pics of such a gem please post a link.
Thanks
Rod

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
Read on a different forum someone did slide the forks in the tripple tree and added dogbones to raise the rear a couple of inches. He added dual purposes tires and removed the belly pan. He was set :)

I use mine on dirt roads half of the time, it's a blast ;D

·
Registered
3,549 Posts
I ride on dirt and gravel around here, too. You can also do the sprocket mod to "take from the high end and give to the low end" but I haven't done that yet.

I haven't done the rear fender eliminator mod, since I don't like having a red mud skunk stripe up my back!

What about paris to dakkar tires????????

·
Registered
146 Posts
Can't get it in the US, but Kawasaki had a similar idea with the KLE500

·
Registered
3,549 Posts
Streetfighter style, like Frog, high pipe, skid plate and tires and your set!

I have never seen the KLE, thanks for the pic!

·
Registered
146 Posts
The Versys leans way more toward street than the KLE, as is indicated by the wheels and tires.

Yes, it uses a retuned 650R motor.

·
Registered
152 Posts
ex_dsmr said:
kawi is bringing something like the kle500 over to the states. i read it on one of the forums i frequent. maybe this is it. the klr650. im pretty sure it uses the same engine from the 650r. a tad fancier than the 500, but you get the idea.

ok, its the versys...i remember it was pretty ugly

here it is http://www.kawasaki.com/Products/Detail.aspx?id=246

Looks like more than just a 650r motor retuned...

The pipes look similar and IMO the back portion of the frame and seat look like a squished version of the 650r.

·
Registered
344 Posts
ex_dsmr: that's a versys. The KLR650 has a single cylinder engine and is *much* more accustomed to off road than the versys.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Needed to bump this up...

Does anyone know of any skid plate from another bike that might fit on the EX?

I want to get adventure tires for mine and plan to use it on gravel roads/logging roads, etc... but a proper skid plate would sure help out to prevent knocking a hole in the thin oil pan...

Also.... I noticed on an EX racing site that there are engine crash bars available:
anyone know where to get them? or how to make them?

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
I have riddden a Versys Twice, its not a real duaol sport, but not a real sport. Fits in with teh Vstrom from suzuki. Mostly pavement pounder that was built to be light and handle mild off pavememnt use. I thought that it handled very poorly. I really wanted one till i rode it at biketoberfest last year.

·
Registered
2,480 Posts

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
Nick D said:
Pretty simple setup, really. Just be sure to add rigid pegs as shown for the most effective protection.
Think i would go with frame sliders off the rear exhaust, I drag pegs too often for rigid pegs.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts