Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Motorists with stick shift cars change their clutch every 100K miles or so. Does anyone know per how many miles should we change or have the clutch checked out on our EX500? When someone says changing the clutch on a motorcycle, does that refer to only changing the clutch cable?

Please advise and thanks in advance.

·
Registered
19,392 Posts
Never and when it breaks, But have a spare on hand (cable) Change your clutch springs now though, Not the clutch just the springs. The stockers are NG.
I used to fit a second clutch cable along side the working one so when the first failed I could hook up the second, in seconds without tools.

FOG,,

·
Registered
31 Posts
is the fact that your clutch cables were failing a relfection of shoddy parts or you being iron fisted? ive never had a clutch cable fail.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, FOG, for that input

005xe said:
is the fact that your clutch cables were failing a relfection of shoddy parts or you being iron fisted? ive never had a clutch cable fail.
May I ask how many mileage you have on your bike? And also, are you the only owner of the bike? Previous owner might have changed the clutch--I just want to rule that out.

I have 10K miles on mine and clutch is functioning well but I don't want the clutch to quit on me when I'm doing 65 on 405. Standard preventive measure---that's why I posted the question.

·
Registered
19,392 Posts
Actually , that little story was about old bikes , My 1949 BSA A7 in this case. Never had a high milage EX, only race bike that got tons of TLC.

FOG

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
005xe said:
My '88 EX clutch cable failed/broke with in a year or so of buying my EX new. And I kept it under a bike cover and had dealer servicing done.

Was on my way to Daytona for bike week too, was fun getting to the Kawi dealer in Orlando with no clutch. Shifting is easy, its the stopping at lights that sucked. You kill the motor and drift up to the light. Then you start it in neutral and paddle off with your feet, go as fast as you can then JAM it up into 2nd....
weeeeee!!

·
Registered
4,348 Posts
in general, unless you do a lot of stunting, burnouts, or drag racing, your clutch will last the life of the bike. the cable on the other hand, is another story, and can break without much warning. mine did once, and I had to ride home without a clutch. thankfully my neutral safety didnt work, so I just killed the motor at lights, fired up again in first and rode off.

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
bobthebiker said:
thankfully my neutral safety didn't work, so I just killed the motor at lights, fired up again in first and rode off.
Isn't pulling the clutch lever cancelling the neutral switch ? I think the switch is in the lever assembly so having the cable broke or not wouldn't make any difference as long as the lever is pulled ;)

·
Registered
216 Posts
Frog said:
bobthebiker said:
thankfully my neutral safety didn't work, so I just killed the motor at lights, fired up again in first and rode off.
Isn't pulling the clutch lever cancelling the neutral switch ? I think the switch is in the lever assembly so having the cable broke or not wouldn't make any difference as long as the lever is pulled ;)
Correct.

·
Registered
146 Posts
nasfaw said:
Motorists with stick shift cars change their clutch every 100K miles or so.
Motorists (and/or motorcyclists) don't change their clutches because they feel like it or as a maintenance item. They change it because there is an issue with the clutch, such as chattering, grabbing, or slipping. That is mainly dependent on how much abuse the clutch sees.

My fiance went through a clutch every 25k on her Explorer Sport. That's because she slipped the snot out of it. I had(sold it last weekend) a Festiva that is currently 130k into it's second clutch. The first one was replaced at 115k miles due to excessive chattering. And yes, said Festiva has 245,000 miles on it. The clutch is fine on it, so I was not about to change it. Just shows the difference between zero abuse and lots of abuse.

Not saying it can't happen, but I've never had a motorcycle clutch go without warning. I've had to replace them in the first three bikes I owned, but none were babied the way I baby bikes now. The cable now, that IS something that can go without warning, though they've always given me warning in that they no longer have smooth takeup. Had a car clutch literally turn into string once, with zero warning and no abuse at the time of failure(plenty of abuse at other times though). Wish I had taken a picture of that.

·
Registered
19,392 Posts
A word on the EX clutch. It inherited it from it's grandfather a 900 cc four from the 60s. ( the ex engine is that one sawed in half sorta) and for that reason can you say Bullet proof. Just change the crappy girlie springs.

FOG

S

·
0 Posts
FOG said:
A word on the EX clutch. It inherited it from it's grandfather a 900 cc four from the 60s. ( the ex engine is that one sawed in half sorta) and for that reason can you say Bullet proof. Just change the crappy girlie springs.

FOG
+1 Barnett springs

·
Registered
4,288 Posts
FOG said:

FOG
so what is involved in just a spring change?

·
Registered
304 Posts
I was doing safety checks today and found my cable is about to snap( there is fraying clutch wire at the level side).... where can i find a replacement?

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
nasfaw said:
I have 10K miles on mine and clutch is functioning well but I don't want the clutch to quit on me when I'm doing 65 on 405.
Haha that's funny. I can't remember the last time I ever got up to 65 on the 405...

·
Registered
8,270 Posts
Ron Ayers, Motion Pro, Kawasaki dealer.......any online dealer of Motion Pro cables.......Bike Bandit.......IDK.....

·
Registered
150 Posts
TwoTacoCombo said:
nasfaw said:
I have 10K miles on mine and clutch is functioning well but I don't want the clutch to quit on me when I'm doing 65 on 405.
Haha that's funny. I can't remember the last time I ever got up to 65 on the 405...
lol...nice catch :D

·
Registered
438 Posts
I once did 65 on the 405. It was 1984 and 3:30 in the morning. ;D

1 - 18 of 18 Posts