Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are the best suspension mods for track use for the EX? Are there swing arms and front ends from other bikes that 'graft' in fairly easily to make the bike handle better on the track? I did my first track day yesterday on a bone stock EX with the rear shock pre-load set very stiff, and under heavy braking I did a lot of bunny hopping. Also, the stock-sized tires with their high walls are not huge confidence inducers.

Thanks for any help and advice you can offer.

,,,Brent

[email protected]

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
Well you start with some Progressive springs, maybe a heavier fork oil, put on a Telefix fork brace and a steel braided brake line and some Ninja 600 lower bars and now you've taken the EX frt end as far as it will go, if that's not enough then you shop around for a beefier frt end, I have 43mm forks off a GSXR-750 but a R-6 front end seems to be the more common switch...

·
Registered
40 Posts
Wow, I heard some rumors about that bike...... ;D

·
Registered
19,367 Posts
Just get a set of race tech springs for your weight and emulatores for the front. and a Penske shock for the rear and your set . except for tires. Any race tire will do.
Don't change the Forks,swingarm, If you need a better brake get a EBC full floater disc and HH sintered pads and your set. All the rest is feel good candy and will not make the bike handle better or go faster.
Oh I almost forgot, a set of Barnnet or Red line clutch springs, not the clutch just the springs.

FOG

·
Registered
40 Posts
Ok, I know I'm gonna open a can of worms here. The EX you see in my avatar might be one of the most highly modified EXs ever built. Certainly I'll give credit to the Gibson brothers out of So.Cal for absolute insanity, but if you're looking for an EX with a VIN number, my old EX was pretty 'out there'.

Modified and gussetted frame. Triangulated to eliminate flex.
Complete CBR 600 F2 front end with Race Tech internals.
Solid motor mounts - again, flex protection.
Modified tail section - complete relocation of all electronics and weight savings
Works Performance shock and spring
Yamaha FZR400 Deltabox aluminum swingarm
Adjustable dog legs
CBR 600 F3 rear wheel with modified cush drive and caliper mount.
Clip ons
Rearsets
Several other goodies I've probably forgotten.

I was able to run Michelin roadrace slicks in 120 and 160 sizes on the bike. It was as solid as the Rock of Gibraltar in the corners.

The question is not "how far can you modify an EX?". It's "how much time and money do you want to spend to modify an EX?" You also have to decide which classes and which rules you'll be working under if you want to go racing.

Bunny hopping? Like with the rear wheel? Not the bike's or suspension's fault.

·
Registered
19,367 Posts
Keep in mind Outrace, that the fellow just did his first track day. He certainlly dosn't need any of the advanced mods You discribe on your EX. Frankly I question the logic of doing what you did at all.
On my home track Loudon, NH the ex track record is held by a bike equiped exactlly as I discribed , Thats any EX reguardless of Mods.
In fact the time would have placed him well on the grid for the AMA Superbike race grid. This is with a stock engine. Admitadittly Loudon is a track that does not reward big horsepower.

FOG

·
Registered
40 Posts
FOG said:
Frankly I question the logic of doing what you did at all.
Sorry FOG, but I "frankly" don't care whether you question my logic.

·
Registered
19,367 Posts
That's OK, by logic I ment econemically would it have been better /cheaper to just start with a more race worthy bike.

FOG

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
Fog it really depends what class you run i think, but to run a EX in expert CCS Superbike/SuperTwins you better do all that stuff if you don't wanna be a one track pony...and the other guys are spending $$$$ too, the Superbike Hawks and FZR's and Ducatis I raced all had tons of money sunk into them, so it's not just because we raced EX's....

I've never run into another expert rider with some of your opinions, esp as concerns upgrades like fork braces and SS brake lines being worthless or shifting your weight to help steer the bike not working..... (don't make me video myself changing lanes on purpose with no hands...)
:)

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
FOG said:
That's OK, by logic I ment econemically would it have been better /cheaper to just start with a more race worthy bike.

FOG
Plus some of like to "run what we brung" so to speak, or in other words I didn't want to be 1 of 32 FZR400;s off the start......

·
Registered
19,367 Posts
wolf66 said:
Fog it really depends what class you run i think, but to run a EX in expert CCS Superbike/SuperTwins you better do all that stuff if you don't wanna be a one track pony...and the other guys are spending $$$$ too, the Superbike Hawks and FZR's and Ducatis I raced all had tons of money sunk into them, so it's not just because we raced EX's....

I've never run into another expert rider with some of your opinions, esp as concerns upgrades like fork braces and SS brake lines being worthless or shifting your weight to help steer the bike not working..... (don't make me video myself changing lanes on purpose with no hands...)
:)
Well I never said "worthless" I just never did it. But I was fast enough to win and a one time my best lap time was within 1/2 sec of the all out EX record. And you won't find a Fork brace on any Expert EX at Loudon. Maybe it's a track thing.

FOG

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
Is she a smooth or bumpy track?

·
Registered
19,367 Posts
Pretty smoothe but with a few hard compressions as you cross the Nascrap oval. The only really fast hard turn is turn 8 a righthander over the top of a hill thats about 80 mph and that were the fork braces cause problems. The only way you can get a stock frame ex around it, is to use a very light touch on the bars and let it have it head with a right knee driven into the tank and all you weight on the outside peg. Then stand the bike up brake to load the front and left downa steep hill with the front chattering.

Real monkey gymnastics.

FOG

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
FOG - What tires do you use on that essentially stock EX? I was told that the choices are very limited for the stock rims, and that the profile is pretty 'tall' for anything considered to be a race tire.

·
Registered
19,367 Posts
I used Dunlops 208 GP Stars. 120 in front and 150 in rear but I can remember the aspect ratio. this was on 17" rims.

I never reached the full potential of those tires. they had so much bite that I had to alter my riding style and tune the suspension diffrentlly.

FOG

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Rims

17" rims? What rims were you using, and what modifications were necessary to replace the stock 16" ones?

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
In 1994, those bikes went from 16 to 17 inchers

They also changed their rear brake for a hydraulic disc instead of a mecanical drum ;)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Ah ha! I've got a '93. Does this mean I'm S.O.L., or is there a way of retro fitting 17" rims onto this particular year? What is the rim of choice?

Thanks.

...Brent
(also north of the 49th...)

·
Registered
19,367 Posts
Your pretty much SOL as you said. All the stuff from a 94 or newer bike will retrofit back to yours , but you need so much you better off buying a newer one.

FOG

1 - 20 of 24 Posts