Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Folks,

I thought I'd share a few pictures of my second home built EX-500 powered land speed racer. This one is mostly aluminum with some pretty cool features. This actual engine powered my last racer to 127MPH at Bonneville, setting the SC-G 500 record in the process. I plan on developing a fuel injection system over the winter to replace the "quaint" carbs I have now.

Let me know if you have any questions ...

Cheers, Mike

·
Registered
19,366 Posts
Don't see any expansionists tank for coolant. but impressive work

FOG

·
Super Moderator
14,964 Posts
following this most unique project!

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
Whole lotta work there! Coil on plugs would allow you to remove those two tumors on the spine. I know that traction is an issue on the salt. A thought: a saddlebag tank which straddles the shock would place a tad bit more weight on the driving wheel. But, this clearly depends on stability with current weight bias. Am guessing that it's pretty good as is. Bodywork?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Whole lotta work there! Coil on plugs would allow you to remove those two tumors on the spine. I know that traction is an issue on the salt. A thought: a saddlebag tank which straddles the shock would place a tad bit more weight on the driving wheel. But, this clearly depends on stability with current weight bias. Am guessing that it's pretty good as is. Bodywork?
Hi There,

Thanks for the recommendations on the coil on plugs, I had not thought of doing that. I've actually found that the stock components (coils, igniters, etc.) are pretty good quality, but the stock wiring harness had too many accountants "designing" it :) and is of woeful quality.

And yes, you're right about low traction on the salt at Bonny. I've got an eye on this as a potential problem and have contingency plans to add weight as needed. Some guys fill their swing arms with lead weight, but I'll just bolt weight to the frame.

For the body, I'll first develop the front and rear sub-frames (thus the currently open lower frame tubes), and then I'll start on a the wire cage. Here's a picture of one of the wire cages for my last bike

Thanks for the comments,

Cheers, Mike

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
Cool. Was going to comment on the pipes, but 180º twins do not benefit all that much from 2-1s. And, short stacks are best for top-end power, which is all you are concerned about. I can see that front/rear/overall downforce is a real balancing act. Except for weight transfer, whatever you add aerodynamically to the rear will require additional at the front. Pretty soon, it is holding you down, but also holding you back.

127 does not sound all that impressive, and it wouldn't be at close to sea level. But, at almost 4.300 feet, the air is very thin. Do you plan a forward-facing intake?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Cool. Was going to comment on the pipes, but 180º twins do not benefit all that much from 2-1s. And, short stacks are best for top-end power, which is all you are concerned about. I can see that front/rear/overall downforce is a real balancing act. Except for weight transfer, whatever you add aerodynamically to the rear will require additional at the front. Pretty soon, it is holding you down, but also holding you back.

127 does not sound all that impressive, and it wouldn't be at close to sea level. But, at almost 4.300 feet, the air is very thin. Do you plan a forward-facing intake?
I'll definitely do the forward facing intakes, it's good for a few percentage points, but only once I can get a fuel injection system properly installed. I had problems working with the carbs in past attempts.

Cheers, Mike

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
Should be a challenge. Half a Z1000 or ZX10 setup would "seem" to be easy, but not when you saw it in half and need to install sensors where sensors were never intended to go.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'll definitely do the forward facing intakes, it's good for a few percentage points, but only once I can get a fuel injection system properly installed. I had problems working with the carbs in past attempts.

Cheers, Mike
Also, I have to agree that 127MPH is not that impressive, and thus the new bike - smaller frontal area, more power, less weight, etc.

I'm shooting for another 10MPH on the record.
Cheers, Mike

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Should be a challenge. Half a Z1000 or ZX10 setup would "seem" to be easy, but not when you saw it in half and need to install sensors where sensors were never intended to go.
No worries, I have a plan :)

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
Carbs and altitude are a bad mix. Rode my TX650 twin from sea level in Cocoa Beach FL, to 10,158 feet in Leadville, CO. Huge difference in power at altitude. Huge difference in my energy level too. FI is so much better at that - once sorted. Too bad you don't have an atmospherically controlled dyno room.

Or do you??? ;)

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Carbs and altitude are a bad mix. Rode my TX650 twin from sea level in Cocoa Beach FL, to 10,158 feet in Leadville, CO. Huge difference in power at altitude. Huge difference in my energy level too. FI is so much better at that - once sorted. Too bad you don't have an atmospherically controlled dyno room.

Or do you??? ;)
Yes I do in fact, since I live in the Denver area :)

·
Registered
37 Posts
Pardon my ignorance, but what is the purpose of the third wheel? Doesn't that put you in a different class?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yes sir, this is designed to compete in the 500cc sidecar class (SC-G 500). There are literally hundreds of motorcycle record classes and types at Bonneville, from 50cc to 3000cc, turbocharged, vintage, streamliner etc. The current record in this class is 124.9MPH set by yours truly in my first EX-500 powered sidecar.

Cheers, Mike

·
Registered
37 Posts
OK, thanks, was trying to figure that out. A fellow I know was at Bonneville last week (about the time this was written) and set another record in the 750cc automobile class with a two-stroke Saab. It was in the same speed range, about 125 or 6 I think. Any bump on the salt must be thrilling at that speed!!!

I hope to stop at Bonneville while out in SLC next Summer (postponed from THIS Summer) on a business/motorcycle trip. Can one take a spin on the salt if things are not being run? I would love to give it a try, though not at crazy speeds, just to say I did. I'd be on my ST1100.

thx

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
OK, thanks, was trying to figure that out. A fellow I know was at Bonneville last week (about the time this was written) and set another record in the 750cc automobile class with a two-stroke Saab. It was in the same speed range, about 125 or 6 I think. Any bump on the salt must be thrilling at that speed!!!

I hope to stop at Bonneville while out in SLC next Summer (postponed from THIS Summer) on a business/motorcycle trip. Can one take a spin on the salt if things are not being run? I would love to give it a try, though not at crazy speeds, just to say I did. I'd be on my ST1100.

thx
You can take a spin on the salt if no events are being hosted and the salt is hard. You need to be careful though, I also did a trip through Wendover/Bonneville 10 years ago or so and thought I'd see how fast my Harley would go on the salt. I was riding at 90+ MPH on the interstate no problem at all, but on the salt I got a weave/wobble at around 70 which made me believe that the more slippery salt surface was showing up inherent instabilities in the bike. I literally decided then and there that a sidecar was the way to go :)

Cheers, Mike

·
Registered
410 Posts
It's cool that you can take a quick run like that. Although, I too would be nervous about the grip coefficient of salt vs tarmac.

Not to mention, even a single run would produce enough salt on the bike to equal 10 Chicago road-salt winters. :oops:

·
Registered
37 Posts
Thx for the info! I assumed if no one was there, it might be possible. I was there as a child, but that was like 50 years ago. But it was like being on the moon. I'd just like to ride it, not test the top speed of my 134k mile Honda. Out in BFE, 200 miles from home.... yeah, not smart. :)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts