Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Too soon to be sure, but out of 4 tanks so far, Valero gas has been giving me around 10mpg less fuel economy that Shell and Mobil.

I got 55 MPG out of each tank that had Shell or Mobil, and only 43 and 45 from the Valero gas.

I keep detailed track of the fuel economy in my Ford Focus, and it does not seem to care where I fill it up, but I have had cars that show a distinct preference for certain brands. Wondering if my bike might be like that.

My Concours has been getting better mileage with each tank, as it sat for a long time(with the PO) and is now getting ridden often(well, not so much since the Ninja) so it's too soon to tell if it has a preference.

My Fazer could care less as well, it gets about 45 no matter what I put in it or how I ride it.

·
Registered
184 Posts
The brand of gas you buy really has nothing to do with who refined it. Chances are 75% of the gas you buy is actually Exxon. They all buy and sell surplus gas to one another.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sure, 75% may, but that still leaves 25% that are not.

I've had cars where it really mattered, and, most, where it did not. If I had not had a couple of vehicles where it mattered, I'd probably be skeptical myself...

I'm guessing that some stations are not buying from whoever is the dominant refiner in an area, and that is where the differences come in.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
I think how you ride determines how your bike consumes fuel over what fuel you are using. Are you doing more fast acceleration from lights, are you running at higher RPMs longer, are you going into a headwind for a extended period.

I know where I live I get head winds on my commute home from work that usually last at least 2 or 3 days. My tank needs to be filled every 4 days. On tanks that I had a headwind my mileage drops over tanks that had no headwind.

Other things like how is your chain tension (too tight, too loose), is it clearn and lubed, or is it dirty will change your mileage to some degree as well.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
First tank was pure rural highway, doing 60 and it got 55mpg, but tires were extremely low on pressure. I was suprised it did so well when I saw the pressure. I was actually suprised the bike handled so well.

The other 3 tanks have been with the proper tire pressure, 1/2 residential putting around and 1/2 on highway doing 70-80. Basically, identical cycles with nothing changed on the bike.

Average is 49MPG, to date.

·
Registered
261 Posts
I'm interested to hear peoples thoughts on this too. I know my car is picky about gas and will get 5+ mpg more on Chevron or Shell than most anything else. I've been getting whatever is convenient for the bike, but I've only put about 700 miles on it so it's too soon to draw any conclusions. It seems like I'm only getting 40-45 mpg out of it, but I haven't figured out a good way to be really accurate, so it could be slightly more or less. I'm guessing it's fairly close since I do thrash it pretty hard.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
To get pretty close, always fill the bike in the same attitude, and always fill it to the same point. I put it on the side stand, leaning toward the pump, and fill it until it just hits the higher side of the filler neck. I then log it in a spreadsheet so I can keep running averages.

For my Focus, which has 12.5k of fillups logged, I have a graph from the data. It shows a distinct improvement in the 1st 5k-6k miles. I think it's due to the engine breaking in. I'm interested in seeing if my Councours does the same thing, as it only has 1,500 miles so far. The Ninja already had 6,400 on it when I bought it though.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Regular. I did run Shell V-Power for the first tank though. Had a gallon of old gas mixed in though.

·
Registered
46 Posts
dabadass said:
do you run reg. or premium??
best question asked so far. the ex500 specifies 87 octane (using the U.S. method of octane ratings...in other parts of the world 87=91)

My ex runs FAR better on 87 than 90 or 91, and I've never dared to put 89 (which is 10% ethanol here in Nebraska).

beyond that, hot rodding the EX drops mileage quick like any bike...steady pace extends fuel efficiency. 50mpg is what I average, all in town, lots of fast starts but no red-lining.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I was getting a bit concerned about these fuel consumption quoted, then I thought "Ah, 1 UK gallon = 1.2 US", so my 70-75 is about the same as your 50-55! It doesn't seem to make any difference which brand I use. A friend of mine found his EX didn't run well on diesel. After about 4 miles........... ??? :(

We have 2 basic octane ratings, 97 and 99. Over here, we pay quite a premium for 99, and unless you're running something exotic, it's not worth it.

We also have limited supplies of a "four star", LRP (lead replacement petrol) for older vehicles.

·
Registered
4,288 Posts
well I don't know how the gas companies work this out exactly ,but for a few years I lived in Greensboro, and that was one of the distribution areas from the Gas pipeline , and you would see trucks leave , no name brand just haulers ,who would deliver to "Generic station's name here" and then would litterally go across the street and deliver to "major brand gas station" . I previously had thought that some gas was better than others ,now I believe they are for the most part the same . The only thing I can think of to be a real difference is maybe tank conditions , or that I'm sure there are some unscrupulous people who would add something to the gas to thin it out ! but these are just my observations and opinions. As far as my mileage I get between 44 - 56 , but mostly 52 on average , that is with me doing warm-up's with 1/2 choke ,city and interstate riding and also playing ( fast acceleration etc.) but think this is good compared to what others have said they get also ,and really beats the heck out of what one of my freinds gets on his 750 Ninja (35mpg) ,anyway hope this helps you some.

·
Registered
4,348 Posts
On average, regardless of how I ride, I seem to be getting around 55-60 mpg from my bike. doesnt matter where I get my fuel, be it a big chain or the independant stations. though I have a tendancy to go for the independant stations since they're consistantly 5-10 cents cheaper per gallon.

·
Registered
19,363 Posts
Re: EX500 sensitive to fuel quality?,Adding to gas?

Adding what to gas? anything that will burn is more expesive that gas, so where is the profit going to be?

FOG

·
Registered
4,288 Posts
I didnt say I add anything to gas, but who knows what goes on at some gas stations ,I could imagine Jim Bob taking his used motor oil from a service bay and dumping it in one to get rid of the oil to keep from paying disposal ! How big is the average fuel tank 2000 Gal ? say he has half a tank of fuel , could add 30-50 gal of oil and who would know after it has diluted into that much fuel is what I was getting at. 3.25 a gal and save disposal $$$

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
avg undergrond tank at stations 8,000-10,000 gal but he'd more likely pour it in his diesel where it wouldn't be noticed

1 - 16 of 16 Posts