Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do you think the top speed of an EX500 is?
My bike is a racer, and I don't have a speedo.
I did a write up of a track I was at in the Racers section, but it got me wondering how fast I was really going.
My bike is heavily modified, but mostly suspension.
The current engine is bone stock. It has a full system exhaust, and CR Special round slide carbs with velocity stacks.
I think it makes about 55-60hp.
It's geared with a front sprocket of 17 teeth, and a rear with 45.
With that what is the top speed in 6th gear at 10.5k rpm?

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
it is around 190-200km/h bone stock, so 115-120mph ;)

·
Registered
19,367 Posts
2.64 ratio is only a bit short of stock 2.56, so @10.5 your doing 110 max

FOG

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
FOG said:
so @10.5 your doing 110 max
FOG
That's disappointing it sure felt faster than that when you're leaned over with your knee hovering off the ground.
Does more power affect top speed, or does the power just get to that speed more quickly?
Top speed is simply a factor of gear ratio, and engine rpm isn't it?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Yes, top speed is limited by engine RPM and gearing. However,

with more power you can efficiently use taller gears that will provide a higher top speed. Well, I guess you could use taller gears without changing the power, but it would be slow attaining that top speed without more power.

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
red_LED said:
I guess you could use taller gears without changing the power, but it would be slow attaining that top speed without more power.
And maybe end up with not enough torque to push the bike up to the 10.5k mark

·
Registered
19,367 Posts
On a race bike you gear as short as you can so that you just reach the top of 6th at the fastest point of the track.

FOG

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
FOG said:
On a race bike you gear as short as you can so that you just reach the top of 6th at the fastest point of the track.

FOG
And if I ever go back to this track I'd have to re-gear. I came off the last corner in 6th gear at about 8k rpm with an entire half mile straight in front of me. I spoke with some others who had raced there before, and told me that I should be coming out of the last corner about half way through 5th gear leaving all of 6th for the straight. I must have looked slow on the straight compared to the other bikes, but then again don't I always?

·
Registered
19,367 Posts
Keep in mind that there is no bottomless pit of power on tap and a stock EX has all it can doo to pull 16/41 so unless theres a downhill or a tailwind stay below that.
At out old track Bridghampton, NY the long straight ended in a flatout downhill righthander that the big bikes take at about 145. the EX topped out down the hill at 120 or so. Ok so one race weekend there was a stong tailwind down the straight so I kept gearing taller each practice till I was 17 41 and was hitting turn one at 135 scareing the bejeasus out of myself. That poor ex wobbled so bad I thought the frame was going to snap.

FOG

1 - 10 of 10 Posts