Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

Im a newbie in this forum and also to riding. My brother and I bought a 2007 Ninja 500R and wanted to know about the exhausts. I have done searches about them: D&D, Muzzy, and Sarachu were my final choices. I have heard clips of each one, but its hard to tell the difference. If you guys have any experiences with these exhaust, please rate them from 1 (quiet) being the stock sound to 10 (really loud).

D&D: 1-10?
Muzzy: 1-10?
Sarachu: 1-10?

Any information and opinions will be appreciated.

S

·
0 Posts
I have a D&D exhaust, going to have to give it a 11. I have yet to hear anything louder than my bike except maybe a v-twin with no baffle. Yes I will agree with FOG, it is a loud fart fart. The closet thing I can compare it to is a 4 stroke four wheeler "400 EX come to mind"

·
Registered
63 Posts
Sarachu are a beautiful pipe. Excellent quality, sound, and performance, plus they look awesome to boot. Muzzy isn't a bad pipe, But I'm partial to a dual pipe bike. They sound good.
D&D are a horrible pipe. They are obnoxiously loud and gross sounding, plus 9 times outta 10, they rob you of power and tourque. I don't know about on the 500, But they do on just about every other bike.

Brad

·
Registered
3,881 Posts
Pittsburgh Ninja said:
i have a muzzy, i get compliments on it a lot at lights by fellow riders/or at a gas sation etc.
Remember that most folks were raised to not say anything if they can't say something nice. So your anecdotal list of fellow bike rider's comments needs to be shored up w/ opinions of people who aren't cyclists. Compare loud sounds w/ the other senses

Glare- Most of us don't like it when people shine lasers in our eyes, or new stadium lights into our neighborhoods, or drive with their brights on.

Odor- Most of us get disturbed if there's a dirty diaper smell during dinner time, or a pig-farm upwind of us, or gramma creaking into the car w/ a quart of "fragrance" on.

Flavor- Most folks don't care for being served food that's real salty, or mega-spicy, or beer that's old & the wrong temperature.

Touch- The majority of folks would rather not have be touching a stranger at the crowded movies, or on a plane... nor do they enjoy certain physical exams at a doctor's office.

So most folks are not going to enjoy the sound of somebody's loud exhaust, anymore than the neighbor dogs that bark at night.

·
Registered
722 Posts
I started up my bike to warm up before the ride I just took and was gearing up inside and my dad was talking with my mom and he stopped and said "That's a nice sounding engine", then kept talking with my mom. btw I have a V&H, not on your list but just adding.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I might have to add Vance and Hines to my list. What about loudness? I want something to give the little 250cc engine a little more muscular but not obnoxiously loud. Please give me your opinion about loudness, 1-10 with 1 being stock and 10 being obnoxious.

Thanks again for everyones opinions and posts.

·
Registered
326 Posts
MrSciTrek said:
Pittsburgh Ninja said:
i have a muzzy, i get compliments on it a lot at lights by fellow riders/or at a gas sation etc.
Remember that most folks were raised to not say anything if they can't say something nice. So your anecdotal list of fellow bike rider's comments needs to be shored up w/ opinions of people who aren't cyclists. Compare loud sounds w/ the other senses

Glare- Most of us don't like it when people shine lasers in our eyes, or new stadium lights into our neighborhoods, or drive with their brights on.

Odor- Most of us get disturbed if there's a dirty diaper smell during dinner time, or a pig-farm upwind of us, or gramma creaking into the car w/ a quart of "fragrance" on.

Flavor- Most folks don't care for being served food that's real salty, or mega-spicy, or beer that's old & the wrong temperature.

Touch- The majority of folks would rather not have be touching a stranger at the crowded movies, or on a plane... nor do they enjoy certain physical exams at a doctor's office.

So most folks are not going to enjoy the sound of somebody's loud exhaust, anymore than the neighbor dogs that bark at night.
not my problem. i don't like the sound of cruisers with stock loud a$$ exhausts but i gotta hear it. also, why else would get an aftermarket exhaust if you prefer a low sounding one ala the stock. also i bought the bike used and it had the exhaust already on it, but i'm glad it did. i can't compare it to others. unless you're constantly circling the same houses/neighborhood or constatly doing it late at night/early in teh am, loudness shouldn't be that big of a problem.

·
Registered
404 Posts
^true...plus your not going down your street or pulling into your drive way at 8000 rpm's
you can have a mod exhaust and respect your neighbors

·
Registered
326 Posts
hollywood said:
^true...plus your not going down your street or pulling into your drive way at 8000 rpm's
you can have a mod exhaust and respect your neighbors
when i'm pulling it, the exhaust is almost non-existent/low enough for me to move forward, haha. when i'm out on the freeway or w/e is when i crank it, not in my drive.

·
Registered
348 Posts
I have a Muzzy 2-1 carbon fiber exhaust comin' in within the next 2 weeks. Hoping it'll be nasty loud! My stock system has problems anyway. Exhaust leaks out of one side, and they're wayyy too quiet for my liking. Carbon Fiber looks sexy on the EX as well! 8)

·
Registered
326 Posts
eXce!!eNt said:
I have a Muzzy 2-1 carbon fiber exhaust comin' in within the next 2 weeks. Hoping it'll be nasty loud! My stock system has problems anyway. Exhaust leaks out of one side, and they're wayyy too quiet for my liking. Carbon Fiber looks sexy on the EX as well! 8)
i really like the muzzy i have a cheap 2-1 version, not even sure which one as i didn't buy it/install it, previous owner pwn3d. now i hafta get some help to adjust it and all that good stuff

1 - 20 of 56 Posts