Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know the purpose of the exhaust cross-over pipe? 2 cylinders-2pipes-2mufflers-why connect them together?

·
Registered
145 Posts
a cylinder doesnt constantly put out exhaust gas

it:
puff puff puff puff (cylinder 1)
puff puff puff puff (cylinder 2)

with a crossover, some of the gas can travel out the empty area of the other pipe thus creating a more efficient exhaust

that is probably a terrible way of explaining it but i couldnt think of anything else real quick

·
Registered
19,365 Posts
Ya don good, except it's Fart Fart Fart.

FOG

·
Registered
192 Posts
it helps with the anti-vibration thing... Sojon was right... equalizes the pressure output between the two sides.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Actually the cross over pipe directs an echo or reverberation of the exhaust pulse at the open exhaust valve of the cylinder 180 degrees opposed which aids in scavaging which in turn increases the intake pulse at mid RPM giving you more horsepower in the mid range.
A 2into1 is best in mid range, because of this reverberation, (dictated by the length of the collector), where a 2into2 is best for WOT. A 2into2 with a crossover is a hybrid, supposedly the best of both worlds.
You see this on any motor that has cylinders firing 180 degrees opposed, I4 I6 V6 V8 V10 V12. On I4 bikes you will see alot 4into2into1 with the cylinders siamesed to the cylinder 180 degrees opposed; ie: 1 and 3, 2 and 4.

·
Registered
26 Posts
would something bad happen if you sealed up one exhaust tube and just used the cross over tube to make a 2 into 1 and just use one of the stock pipes? just curiouse

·
Registered
216 Posts
It will run but it will suck.

·
Registered
26 Posts
oh ok, the thought just pooped into my head while i was sitting here. i was pretty sure that because it would be traveling at a right angle that it wouldn't work so well

·
Registered
216 Posts
Right angles are not good and the (remaining) stock muffler would not like 2x the normal flow.

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
One of the tricks I've seen to better exhaust flow in a car with a crossover is replacing an H pipe with an X style crossover. I'm sure there wouldn't be an improvement worth the work that it would take to fabricate the exhaust, but it'd be an interesting experiment to see how it moved the powerband on a parallel twin.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts