Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone find extended pilot adjustment screws to fit the Gen2 EX500 carbs?
Or, can someone fashion a set to suit?

Also looking for a stock paper air filter.

Cheers!

·
Registered
163 Posts
Anyone find extended pilot adjustment screws to fit the Gen2 EX500 carbs?
Or, can someone fashion a set to suit?

Also looking for a stock paper air filter.

Cheers!
I ordered some a bit ago for mine they were made for some model Harley if I recall correctly. I'll see if I can find em again. I also think duc was gonna order some for if someone wanted em installed during a carb clean/refurb

Edit to add link to said item.

When you get them be careful upon installation if you encounter any resistance don't force em contact the seller and ask for a refund or replacement. Duc got a couple ones that were Def out of spec though he did order from a different vendor. This is the guy I ordered from and had no issues.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
19,320 Posts
kinda silly, once set ,no need to fiddle, unless you go up and down a 5000 ft mountain every day

FOG

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I ordered some a bit ago for mine they were made for some model Harley if I recall correctly. I'll see if I can find em again. I also think duc was gonna order some for if someone wanted em installed during a carb clean/refurb
Thanks!
Almost ordered 1; then realized, need 2!

·
Registered
163 Posts
kinda silly, once set ,no need to fiddle, unless you go up and down a 5000 ft mountain every day

FOG
You said the same when I originally posted about them some time ago and while you're not wrong it is sometimes difficult to get a screwdriver right up in there without touching the hot bits. This just makes the adjustments easier to do on the rare occasions that you need to. Frankly anything that makes any maintenance on the bike easier is a qol improvement imho. Also it's sub 20 bucks so not like he's shitting where he eats.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Actually, I wasn't blaming you, I thought it was funny that I forgot a Harley has only 1 carb. But it's alright now.

On the other issue;
maybe it is silly; I'll find out on the way down this 5,000 foot mountain while fiddling with a small screwdriver, under the carbs on top of a hot motor. :giggle::giggle:

·
Registered
163 Posts
Actually, I wasn't blaming you, I thought it was funny that I forgot a Harley has only 1 carb. But it's alright now.

On the other issue;
maybe it is silly; I'll find out on the way down this 5,000 foot mountain while fiddling with a small screwdriver, under the carbs on top of a hot motor. :giggle::giggle:
Ehh depends on the Harley but yeah lol 1 screw per carb.

On the other, have fun and keep her rubber side down.

·
Registered
785 Posts
Hi. well I don't know about the rest of you but I find one of those middle sized drill screwdriver ends (the one that are about 2in long) just perfect for the pilot screws. if you add some tape for extra grip or mine has a small nut welded to the end for calibration they are very easy to use and very cheap. 40 bucks a screw wow. seems a lot for something that will hardly ever be used.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Hi. well I don't know about the rest of you but I find one of those middle sized drill screwdriver ends (the one that are about 2in long) just perfect for the pilot screws. if you add some tape for extra grip or mine has a small nut welded to the end for calibration they are very easy to use and very cheap. 40 bucks a screw wow. seems a lot for something that will hardly ever be used.
Right that's why I would never suggest getting the factory pro ones. Ones made for the keihin carbs on a Harley fit just fine and are dirt cheap. 5-10 each so 10-20 for a set.

·
Registered
785 Posts
I understand what you are saying. and agree a better option. but to replace the stock screws the carbs would probably need to be removed so best done on a carb clean. in the meantime !!! I looked at the very same screws for the cruiser but modified a drill bit. it is so easy to use I never bothered.

·
Super Moderator
14,782 Posts
There has been little, if any, interest in "upgrades" to these by folks encountered within my carb service. Between that fact and the tons of defective, incorrect copycat junk on the market (which I've experienced firsthand) I ceased the option, no longer stocking them.
Seasonal changes may require slight tweaks in screw settings, owners option, can vary, not mandatory. Therefore these screws truly optional.

The defectives I received did not accept the correct washers, the shafts not machined to correct spec diameter. After a back and forth ...me providing measurements and pic proof......the vendor not receptive to standing behind his "product". No more, I'm now avoiding copy cat junk like the plague. Poor QC is rampant in these Far East carb kits and parts.

·
Registered
19,320 Posts
I had a 10 penny nail ,that i flattened to a screw driver point and filed a flat on the head to count the turns . this lived in my toolbox

FOG

Reactions: slower

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks everyone for your input,
I'll be sure to check my purchase closely for fit and quality.

Easier [lazier] to spend $20, than to take two out of the extra carb set,
and modify to suit, though machine work is not my specialty.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Not what you asked for but here is my solution. I made an offset screwdriver out of a metal street sweeper bristle I found in a parking lot. I find them all the time, they're very handy, and they're free. I made it for my KLR, which uses almost the same carb, the same one used an the Harley Sportster. They also make extended fuel screws for KLR's, as they are often ridden over widely varying altitudes. Anyway it makes idle mixture screw adjustments very easy..

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Clever! I like.

Another odd question:

has anyone tinkered with the springs from the top of the slides,
shorter, longer, harsher, weaker, with a goal of changing
the opening rate of the diaphragm slides?

·
Registered
19,320 Posts
yes, be careful 10% change will make a big difference and you will have to tune the pilots with every change. If you buy a jet kit (don't) you might get a set of slightly lighter springs, that allow the slide to open sooner/wider.
now you tinkering with the very concept of CV carbs. So if you don't know what your doing(you don't) or have a dyno at you disposal, leave them be, there ain't nothing but downside there.
Ask me how I know

FOG

1 - 20 of 25 Posts