Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a 97 EX500 to build for my Wife's track bike.
Pretty bad shape - good project.
The right front fork seal is leaking & they are pretty weak anyway.
I have read that you can use Honda F2 forks over the stock forks.
If I go w/ these will I have to get a F2 front fender as well?

We are going into this as economically as possible what suggestions do have?

Does anyone have an old set of race fairings for sale?

·
Registered
19,362 Posts
Fix those forks. New seal,springs and Emulators , about 250 bucks .

FOG

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
You are going to have to swap a little more than the forks and fender.
Triple clamps, handle bars...
Speaking of handle bars...the Honda has clip-ons (which won't work with the EX bodywork) that mount BELOW the top clamp... how are you going to mount the EX bars ABOVE the top clamp?
Are you going to use the Honda wheel? Then your front is wider than the rear...that'll make for interesting tire choices.
If you use the EX wheel you will have to make spacers to mount it and the brake caliper...what are you going to do with the speedo drive?
In the end all you do is move the flex from the fork to behind the steering head. Remember the EX frame is made of an alloy of limp pasta and playdough.

Oh...and it throws the EX's pretty good balance out the window.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have this set of F2 forks that I will let go for dirt cheap.

Big, dual front brakes, beefy calipers, one steel braided line (I might be able to find the other), upgraded internals (not sure to what extent). They're painted so if looks are important, you might need to sand the lowers. They might need seals but I'm not sure. I have the triple tree to go with it as well. I also have some clip-ons that I can throw in.

These were fitted up to my project bike before I bought it but the previous owner swapped them for a set off the Bandit 400 which I'm quite happy with. I think you'll need a new top roller bearing (the one I have with the triple won't do) but the stock EX500 one might work(?) Either way, finding a tapered roller bearing out of an NSK catalog shouldn't be a problem.

They're doing me no good just sitting around.

If you don't mind a project, this might be a good option for you. You'll probably have clearance issues with the clip-ons and the tank, even if you lower the forks in the tree and mount the clip-ons up top. But, the top triple clamp has holes in it which look like they're intended for mounting handlebar risers so you could always go with standard bars. As for the speedo drive, ditch the stock cluster and mount an Acewell all-in-one (~$100) and it'll satisfy all of your speedo/tach needs (you just need to mount the pick-up on a wheel.)

whew...that does sound like a project. All that just to change the front setup?

-freddyb

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Maybe I will just rebuild the existing forks. My Wife only weighs 100 pounds so I don't think she will put too much stress on the front.
Thanks for the input.

·
Registered
19,362 Posts
MPH 200 said:
Maybe I will just rebuild the existing forks. My Wife only weighs 100 pounds so I don't think she will put too much stress on the front.
Thanks for the input.
The Bike was designed for your wife, leave it alone.

FOG

1 - 7 of 7 Posts