Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A while ago I foudn a group on facebook called "Girlfriends Against Motorcycles" and it was created by 3 girls who feel that their boyfriends are only being selfish by wanting to buy motorcycles. Needless to say I took it into my own hands to blast them with many a foul word for their narrow minded stupidity. Then I got to thinking, that would probably be the absolute end of any relationship for me if a girl ever mentioned that she doesn't "approve" of motorcycles.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Speaking of Facebook groups, join "ADIDAS [All Day I Dream About Sportbikes]" to show some support for the sport!

Most girls I've "encountered" think that my riding a bike is an attractive feature. I definitely wouldn't date someone who thought otherwise. Plenty of fish in the sea.

·
Registered
234 Posts
eXce!!eNt said:
I definitely wouldn't date someone who thought otherwise. Plenty of fish in the sea.
Easier said than done. When you're in love with a girl and you're pu55y whooped, you'll do anything let alone posting your bike on craigslist because she doesn't approve it.

·
Registered
347 Posts
nasfaw said:
Easier said than done. When you're in love with a girl and you're pu55y whooped, you'll do anything let alone posting your bike on craigslist because she doesn't approve it.
Being pu55y whipped, and having a girlfriend that doesn't approve of your passions doesn't sound like much of a relationship to me.

·
Registered
64 Posts
mfrankpdx said:
nasfaw said:
Being pu55y whipped, and having a girlfriend that doesn't approve of your passions doesn't sound like much of a relationship to me.
It does for some people. But just because she doesn't approve of your passion, doesn't mean that she can't support you either. It's when she stops you from your passion by making you do things, that's when it crosses the line.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
I think making you put your bike for sale on craigslist pretty much tops the list of "making you do things".

I have considered giving up riding because my fiance worries about me, but she has never asked me to, she doesn't even tell me she worries. I just know she does. Instead of asking me to stop, she told me to get a track bike and wanted me to ride there instead of the street.

If a woman (or man) whom you love does not think you should be doing something you are passionate about, they do not love you for who you are. They want to change you into someone they can love. To me that is a relationship that will not work out in the long run. I admist relationships are about compromise and sacrafice, but telling you to give up your hobbies crosses the line. How would she react if you told her to stop scrapbooking, or shopping, or (insert female pass time here)?

·
Registered
440 Posts
If someone you love deeply is crouched on the floor shaking with that quivering lower lip because they are scared about you getting hurt or killed then you've got a decision to make. And not making your loved ones hurt is a valid decision if you're willing to stop doing something you like. My wife is no wimp and rides bikes, flys planes with me and has no problem with me standing in a puddle of water working on the electrical panel of a gas fired 5000 hp water heater but my skydiving freaked her out beyond all reason. So I stopped and even though I miss it sometimes the decision was correct for my situation and I don't regret it. Call me p-whipped or whatever but it's each person's decision to make for themselves.

Family always comes first. My opinion anyway...

·
Registered
12,314 Posts
guys are selfish for wanting to buy motorcycles, but its not selfish for those girls wanting to go get their hair did, or go shopping for that 758473985762456th pair of shoes ::)

If a woman (or man) whom you love does not think you should be doing something you are passionate about, they do not love you for who you are. They want to change you into someone they can love.
QFT

·
Registered
633 Posts
My wife hates the fact that i ride.

I rode before we got married, anyway after we were married i kept asking her to buy a bike every year around my birthday, one year she finally said ok, so I did.

Now i'm teaching my daughter how to be a good passenger and she loves it, everytime I take the bike out and my 1 1/2 yr old sees it he keeps yelling the word bike. My wife basically got screwed

F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Okay there are some vaild arguments here. To revise my original statement, I don't think I could ever remain on a date with someone who was against riding.

·
Registered
348 Posts
nasfaw said:
eXce!!eNt said:
I definitely wouldn't date someone who thought otherwise. Plenty of fish in the sea.
I pity any man who is whipped. I see drones of guys being led on leashes by their girlfriends, fiances, or wives. It's pitiful. It's not a case of "easier said than done," you must live in a secluded area of Montana or something if you feel that way, in which case... I doubly pity you.

I'm not huge on compromises. Yes, I've been in love with a girl before, but I'm also in love with sportbikes. My motorcycle will never tell me to stop riding the women in my life, simply because it feels that my habits are dangerous. Women should not tell you to abandon a passion. They have their places when it comes to being concerned, but organizing your life in areas such as hobbies and the things you enjoy most, should never be a place they stick their noses. And if you give up something you love on the basis of getting laid, you're extremely desperate, and you're whipped! In which case, you have no male credibility in any venue of life! Good day! ;D

·
Registered
549 Posts
It takes us a few years, but eventually you realize life is not all about you. Babies come fully charged with self-centeredness, and lose it slowly over time. Sacrifice and compromise are a big part of marriage on both sides, but the end result is better than any one person.

For me, having kids has deflated my selfishness more than anything else. You are always looking for what you can give up for them.

But if you are dating then you really do need to factor in how important motorcycles are to you up front.

I never wanted a bike, but I knew my wife hated them because she is a nurse and could tell you stories from the hospital (nurses always hate bikes).

But when I asked her she said OK, and has been fine with it ever since. I know she worries a little sometime, but it is just because she loves me and cares for our kids.

·
Registered
64 Posts
2001ex500 said:
It takes us a few years, but eventually you realize life is not all about you. Babies come fully charged with self-centeredness, and lose it slowly over time. Sacrifice and compromise are a big part of marriage on both sides, but the end result is better than any one person.

For me, having kids has deflated my selfishness more than anything else. You are always looking for what you can give up for them.

But if you are dating then you really do need to factor in how important motorcycles are to you up front.

I never wanted a bike, but I knew my wife hated them because she is a nurse and could tell you stories from the hospital (nurses always hate bikes).

But when I asked her she said OK, and has been fine with it ever since. I know she worries a little sometime, but it is just because she loves me and cares for our kids.
here here. Totally agree with you. People that are way past the "being in love" stage and are getting married or are married tend to be less selfish and be more compromising. If you got injured or died, can your wife and kids handle a life or living without you? When your decisions could effect others, then compromise is in order (as required). For those that are "in love", getting a new GF is easy. But for those that are married, you don't just go get another wife. You'll be financially broke. I'd rather lose a bike than be financially broke due to divorce expenses.

F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'm not huge on compromises. Yes, I've been in love with a girl before, but I'm also in love with sportbikes. My motorcycle will never tell me to stop riding the women in my life, simply because it feels that my habits are dangerous. Women should not tell you to abandon a passion. They have their places when it comes to being concerned, but organizing your life in areas such as hobbies and the things you enjoy most, should never be a place they stick their noses. And if you give up something you love on the basis of getting laid, you're extremely desperate, and you're whipped! In which case, you have no male credibility in any venue of life!
Preach!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts