Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I've just installed the FP shift kit. yesterday I spent 5 hour changeing it. The instructions states that in about two hours the kit can be installed. But like I changed my exhaust system, the new collectors go just in front of the oil drain screw :(, so I had to remove the exhaust system to install the kit!! another tricky point is when trying to remove the cover of the shift selector. As I didn't read the installing instructions I didn't know that the cover had to be removed with the shift shaft, but I managed to change the spring without full removeing the cover :p

But finally I managed to install the kit and here are some impresions. I mainly decided to install the kit because sometimes, the second gear used to bounce when trying to change from first. I think tha manin problem was that I use to handle the clutch with only two fingers, so the gear box is not fully disconnected from the engine when changing. and the factory spring does not perform enought preasure on the gear to insert it.

My first impression is very good. the second gear doesn't bounce any more. The gear lever is a little bit harder to operate, but the gears are working properly. I have tested it only in the city, where most you use the gear box when rideing, but this afternoon I'll try to test it on the road athigh RPMs :)

I think its a good upgrade, but not suitable to all riders. remember that installing the new spring will do the gear lever harder to operate.

I hope you find this info usefull, specially to those who have the spring already on their shelve waiting to have some free time to install it.

Best regards.

·
Registered
19,367 Posts
You will find you just wasted 35 or whatever bucks and 5 hours of you life. That stronger detent spring is nothing but a stopgap. If it works at all your problem will return.

The cause of it jumping out of gear is: Worn bushinge inside the transmission causing the gears to wobble and become disengaged on torque reversals.

Applying extra force externally only ex caberates the wear in the long run it will be worse.

The fix is a FOG rebuilt tranny.

Call Me

FOG

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
Which busing are we talking about FOG ? I got the same issue last summer with my machine.. Didn't experience it this year so far though ???

Could you get me the part number from the ronayers microfiche ?

Although I'd love to have an expert mechanic as you work on my tranny, I can't afford to send it south of the border..

·
Registered
19,367 Posts
Frog said:
Which busing are we talking about FOG ? I got the same issue last summer with my machine.. Didn't experience it this year so far though ???

Could you get me the part number from the ronayers microfiche ?

Although I'd love to have an expert mechanic as you work on my tranny, I can't afford to send it south of the border..
The three bushings in the free running gears the two in particular that are up against the shoulder of the input and output shafts. The stock bushings are the problem. they are made out of crap , don't fit all that well and wear out rapidly. This allows the gears to wobble on the shafts and to cause undo wear on the drive dogs eventually causing disengagement at torque reversals.
The only fix is a rebuilt transmission by FOG really.
I replace the stock bushings with ones I make from Aircraft aluminium Silicon Bronze fitted to polished shafts and under cut allthe gear dogs On both drive and Overrun sides.
This is the ultimate fix. I have done hundreds of them.
This marvelous work only costs a measly $250 plus shipping as an Exchange for your worn out one.
You do the swap.
The part numbers invovved as shown on Ron Ayers Microfinch are
13260A 5th gear input shaft
13260 2nd gear output shaft
13129 4th gear output shaft
The bushings ar shown in only two of those gears , and are not avaliable, as seperate parts but the gears must be purchased.
The picture shows a rebushed and undercut 2nd gear next to it's fitted shaft

FOG

[attachment deleted by admin]

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
I'll keep that in mind FOG :)

It'll have to wait for a little while, money priority is currently on my move and I'm looking for a new job right now, dunno what the income will be :-\

Thanks for all the explanations though, very informative, and very much appreciated :)

·
Registered
3,881 Posts
FOG... you oughta offer out apprenticeships, or take in 1-2 week interns.
They'd camp in the backyard, mow the lawn, wash & wax the vehicles, in exchange for watching you do your thing. $250 exchange is a good solution for worn trannys.

Have you observed any differences in durability or wear between engines/trannys where the owner used regular & synthetic oils?

·
Registered
19,367 Posts
Most of the Bad Trannies I've seen have no particular history but the erosion on the faces of the gears make it obvious that the oil broke down and failed to protect the gears. They pit just like cam lobes. For this reason I recommend that you use the best grade of oils and change them often. I have no preferences for oil but I used Castrol 20-50 in all my race engines and never had a problem.

FOG

·
Registered
3,881 Posts
The car forum I was active in for a while www.teamzx2.com had some debate going on the best oil for the 5 speed manual tranny, which is not shared w/ the engine.

The 2 best supported oils were Mobile 1 synthetic ATF dexron/mercon, and Pennzoil Synchromesh.
Ford uses ATF (automatic trans fluid) in the manual AND automatic.

I went with the Mobil 1 ($$$) when it came time to change the fluid. It worked better than the stock fluid. But the argument for the Pennzoil having ingredients specifically for the GEARS came out soon after I switched. Figures. Ford was accused (?) trying to simplify production & the ATF was "good enough" for their entry-level model. Which is not the same as "best."

·
Registered
216 Posts
MrSciTrek said:
The car forum I was active in for a while www.teamzx2.com had some debate going on the best oil for the 5 speed manual tranny, which is not shared w/ the engine.

The 2 best supported oils were Mobile 1 synthetic ATF dexron/mercon, and Pennzoil Synchromesh.
Ford uses ATF (automatic trans fluid) in the manual AND automatic.

I went with the Mobil 1 ($$$) when it came time to change the fluid. It worked better than the stock fluid. But the argument for the Pennzoil having ingredients specifically for the GEARS came out soon after I switched. Figures. Ford was accused (?) trying to simplify production & the ATF was "good enough" for their entry-level model. Which is not the same as "best."

I bet Ford is chasing higher MPG rating by going with lower viscosity gear lube.

·
Registered
3,881 Posts
Tranny fluid that gives a fraction more mpg but doesn't protect the gear & bearing surfaces as well is a bad bargain. Problem is that too many American companies are run by bean counters... who look at the cost of everything and the value of nothing.

Ooo... that sounded good... must be somebody's famous quote...
Googled: Holey Moley... it's used all over the place.

Whose quote originally? BrainyQuote.com has:
The cynic knows the price of everything and the value of nothing. Oscar Wilde
Too many people today know the price of everything and the value of nothing. Ann Landers

·
Registered
3,881 Posts
jlmay said:
I'd bet it was Oscar Wilde first. lol...
Yeah, Anne has some years on her... but not that many!

Heck... he probably got from some scholar of ancient Greece where they got the idea from more ancient Sumerians. http://mesopotamia.mrdonn.org/Sumerlife.html

Oh... found a copy of the quote on an ancient clay tablet.
This kids probably had to write it 50 times after school. Yeah, I'm sure that's it!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts