Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
the fairing above my rearview mirrors on my 2002 ex500 with 23k is broken. problem is that the fairing buzzes at high speeds, which is most of my riding and highly annoying. so far i've zip tyed the fairing down to dwell the noise but i'd prefer a better situation. i've gotten good fixing fairings with 5 minute abs plastic epoxy so im trying to fugiure out what i can do to secure the fairing. since i don't have the broken plastic i'll need to fabricate everything.

any suggestions/tips on how to secure the fairing in a visually appealing way?

·
Registered
175 Posts
I'd be interested in seeing some pictures once you've done it, my fairings are a bit knackered above the mirrors too.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
here it is. i want to find an elegant solution to fixing this problem. any recomendations for finding a substitute plastic? was thinking of trying an old motorcycle helmet visor..?

Attachments

·
Registered
729 Posts
You might try filling it in with ABS, you can find 1'x1' sheets on ebay but you could cut it to shape and paint it up and mount it.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
dk1six said:
You might try filling it in with ABS, you can find 1'x1' sheets on ebay but you could cut it to shape and paint it up and mount it.
that is an excellent idea and just the sort of one i was looking for.

·
Registered
630 Posts
Where are you located? I could mail you a chunk of black abs. You can form it with a heat gun/hair dryer and bend it to shape over a block of wood, etc. and then glue it to your current fairing, fill/sand/prime/paint.

·
Registered
324 Posts
get the abs, then use a soldering iron to weld it, fill with abs cement, sand paint enjoy.

or do like me and get a big jug of abs cement and just use that (its just abs plastic in acetone) but do a lot of small coats as it shrinks a lot as the acetone evaporates. Its really cheap at home depot/lowes/home hardware/etc

·
Registered
729 Posts
I have a bunch of sheets left over from projects too that I could help you out with if onetworide is further away or whatever but the ABS may be your best bet. I've had good results with ABS and JB Weld in the past and it looks like you already have one solid mounting point there.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
freak ya im super stoked. just bought a 12x12 sheet of 1/8th in abs for $10 shipped...and there have been some creative answers so far as how to mold/adhere/secure to plastic on there. for some reason this makes me happy. im putting a new tire on tomorrow, sealing an exhaust leak and in a week will have my plastic to repair my fairing and will be on my way to operating a properish motorcycle.

·
Registered
11,741 Posts
I had great success with the utilization of air conditioning metal (tin foil with glue on one side) tape. You can easily form and bend it and what I did was pour epoxy into it and after it dried just peel the tape right off then sand. This really helped with contoured areas that were totally broken out and the pieces were missing. I was able to form screw holes and just about anything this way. I built one fairing out of two broken ones this way. Anyway that method worked well for me.

·
Registered
630 Posts
FloridaEX500 said:
I had great success with the utilization of air conditioning metal (tin foil with glue on one side) tape. You can easily form and bend it and what I did was pour epoxy into it and after it dried just peel the tape right off then sand. This really helped with contoured areas that were totally broken out and the pieces were missing. I was able to form screw holes and just about anything this way. I built one fairing out of two broken ones this way. Anyway that method worked well for me.
That's a novel approach. I'll keep that one in my back pocket; I'm sure it will prove to be a handy trick to pull out at some time.

·
Registered
729 Posts
cbsean said:
freak ya im super stoked. just bought a 12x12 sheet of 1/8th in abs for $10 shipped...and there have been some creative answers so far as how to mold/adhere/secure to plastic on there. for some reason this makes me happy. im putting a new tire on tomorrow, sealing an exhaust leak and in a week will have my plastic to repair my fairing and will be on my way to operating a properish motorcycle.
That would be enough to make my weekend right there... :D

·
Registered
12 Posts
Great ideas, starting to get cracks around the mirror mounts on my 1989 EX500, with about 14k miles. Also thought of Rhino Lining or LineX on the back of the plastic, but that will be heavy.

·
Premium Member
1997 Kawasaki Ninja 500
252 Posts
Great ideas, starting to get cracks around the mirror mounts on my 1989 EX500, with about 14k miles. Also thought of Rhino Lining or LineX on the back of the plastic, but that will be heavy.
Not sure if you have access to one already, but I bought one of those PlastiWeld staple welding guns that looks like a soldering gun. Walmart sells the kit here. I've had some good success fixing these cracks/breaks with it and ending up with a stronger body piece as well. The price is very reasonable for what you get and how often you'll end up using it...especially if you do track days.
This was a great remedy for me. Far faster than the plastic welding I have come to use. It may help you to try, and also is fairly light weight.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts