Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted a few days ago about the water pump cover issue on my bike which just went down recently. I’ve been also on the search for some rear fairings to no avail. To get the OEM ones will cost me $1,200. Does any one have a remedy for this. Anybody have any forsake? Please see attachment. Thanks.
Tire Vehicle Hood Automotive lighting Wheel
Automotive lighting Hood Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bumper
Tire Vehicle Hood Automotive lighting Wheel
Automotive lighting Hood Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bumper
Land vehicle Wheel Vehicle Tire Automotive lighting
Hood Automotive lighting Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
if you want the exact (matched) fairings you may be waiting a while. if new is too expensive (they were for me) you could try E-bay or put a add in the wanted section for used parts then just paint them the correct colour.
alternately you could do as most of us do. take them off. plastic weld, filler, sand down, and paint. good as new.
below is shot of mine finished. the yellow circles are are areas that were cracked, broken, or otherwise damaged.
repaired and painted. yeah and that is only the right side.
Tire Wheel Fuel tank Plant Automotive fuel system

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have the exact same problem. Someone knocked over my bike while it was parked on the street and the front upper cowl is cracked. I can't seem to find a replacement anywhere and I'm not handy enough to do like @yorkie. there's no way in hell I'd be able to pull that off.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah, kinda in the same boat. I really wouldn’t know where to start. What did he paint it with?

·
Registered
2,832 Posts
2007 Solar Yellow? eBay has a few side panels, but with patience, you should be able to find some nice ones for maybe $200 max. Just search Ninja 500 (or EX500) 2007 - as that is the only year for that color. The front fairing can be fixed by a motorcycle body/paint shop.

·
Registered
122 Posts
On the paint topic, not sure what yorkie uses.

I can't vouch directly for anything, other than their Kawasaki 602 (Ebony) that I used on an old 86' 250, but ColorRite did a bang up job on nailing that one. They offer some of the other Kawasaki colors as well. It is pricey though, and I think solar yellow requires their base color and then the solar yellow top color to make it look right..As well as a good primer and clear coat which they sell.

I think I used their clear, but just used run of the mill primer, but if you have the $$$ I'd just use their system, they are formulated to work together, and while you can mix and match I try to stay within brands when I can.

Additionally, if you don't paint the whole panel you will need to feather it out which can be a pain, but you can generally get something within passable.

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
hi guys, I just used single pack auto paint with a few coats of clear on top, I chose a colour that I liked. it is almost impossible to duplicate the original paint as most of it is tri colour incandescent metallic paint.
choose one you like then primer it with a colour that brings out the hue of the paint. so white or yellow for light colours grey or black for dark colours. be careful with the top coat clear and use the same stuff all over.
I painted all the plastic in one pack but used a petrol safe one on the tank it took weeks to cure and dried a darker shade than the rest you can see it in the photo if look closely. it can be done with rattle cans if you have the time.

·
Registered
1 Posts
In addition to the plastic weld to repair the broken joint, I've found that removing the fairings and using a ply or two of fiberglass on the BACKSIDE holds up pretty well...use a lightweight glass cloth with polyester resin and you shouldn't have any trouble making the glass conform to the contour of the fairing. Best of luck.

·
Super Moderator
6,957 Posts
^ That's always the way I have done it.

·
Registered
2,832 Posts
Honestly, sometimes we have to bite the bullet and have a shop do it. The 1987 Alpine White Pearl was so impossible to match that I had a shop touch up the upper, lower and paint a Maier front fender to replace the cracked OEM. The way the OP's fairings are hashed, I would buy sound, if mismatched, replacements from eBay and have the parts painted. If the tank is OK, that will save a lot of hassle and cost.

Or, go streetfighter, but that would cost almost as much and likely look rather meh.

·
Premium Member
100 Posts
I've seen some pretty cool tools like a "Plastic Stapler" type thing;
It basically super heats pieces of metal and stick it together, meant to be used on the backside. Saw a couple photos of them being used on Plastics before.

I used drill holes and zip ties for a long while to hold mine together until the last drop really left me with no choice but to throw them away, but i did make the effort to use them until i literally couldnt...
Tire Wheel Fuel tank Automotive fuel system Plant

Tire Wheel Fuel tank Vehicle Automotive lighting

Or, go streetfighter, but that would cost almost as much and likely look rather meh.
Probably the most Wallet friendly Idea imo. How I am now.
50$ clip ons
30$ headlight
50$ speedo , (If you want one)

prob still cost less than plastics , depending on how nice they are.

also, I take offense to this bruv, If done cleanly, I do appreciate the look as long as you can get creative enough to move all the junk now hanging about

I get 10x more compliments on the nakey / streetfighter look than I did stock

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
yeah but some streetfighter builders think dumping the damaged plastic is all that is needed it's not. because if you remove it all then all the electrical equipment and sticky out bits have to be moved or made water proof because they are designed to be covered.
also the speedo cluster is waterproof only on the top. not underneath. so by the time you have done all the work needed it's not that cheap. yes if they are done reasonably they can look good but i assume @po18guy was referring to the former not the latter. it's a common theme here in the UK with sports bikes and man are some of those suckers ugly.

·
Premium Member
100 Posts
yeah but some streetfighter builders think dumping the damaged plastic is all that is needed it's not. because if you remove it all then all the electrical equipment and sticky out bits have to be moved or made water proof because they are designed to be covered.
also the speedo cluster is waterproof only on the top. not underneath. so by the time you have done all the work needed it's not that cheap. yes if they are done reasonably they can look good but i assume @po18guy was referring to the former not the latter. it's a common theme here in the UK with sports bikes and man are some of those suckers ugly.
I hear you on this.
I frequent some of those "Biker Meets", 50% is R6's w no fairings, LED light bar with a crash cage.
The ugliness is everywhere.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts