Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all how's everyone been? Got a question on my fan, Its not kicking on period. i checked my thermostat today and it works fine. first thought that wasnt letting the flow through. My temp gauge works, so i wouldn't think the sensor, or are the fan and temp gauge diffrent sensors. I did notice a small sensor type connection on the thermostat housing, that i didn't realize was there. is there a way to test the sensor to see if it's the problem or test the fan. i've been told to just hard wire the fan and forget about it, is that a decent idea with it. unfortantely most of my riding is daily commuting in pittsburgh so i can't be overheating at a stoplight or in traffic. Any ideas for me.

S

·
0 Posts
Quick question how hot has the bike gotten, did it reach redline without the fan kicking in? The only reason I ask is because the ex500 gets pretty hot before the fan starts.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
she got hot enough to boil over this winter, i caught it in enough time before any major damage happened.

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
Check the 10 amp fan fuse. If that is ok I would pull the connector from the left side of the radiator and put a jumper between the BL/W and BL/BK wires. If the fan kicks on then you have a bad sensor. If the fan doesn't kick on I would check for power and ground at the fan itself. A service manual will pay for it's self over time, I highly recommend getting one. Oh yeah you should get the service manual for the EN400/EN450 with the Ninja/GPZS Supplement.

·
Registered
19,363 Posts
The Fan thermostat is located on the rear right side of the radiator. It's screwed into a boss. It's a ground potential type . to check the fan operation just ground the wire . the fan should run.

FOG

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well i now have it narrowed down to a bad sensor when i by passed it the fan kicked right on. so now i have the decision to replace it or just hard wire the fan to run with the ignition. anyone know any pro's con's of hard wiring it? Fod or Dad??

·
Registered
19,363 Posts
Noise, battery drain, get the best of both worlds add a manual switch.

FOG

1 - 8 of 8 Posts