Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this has been done to death. ive read the threads pertaining to the front end diving because of hard braking. I'm about 195 on a 2003 ninja 500r. Should I be concerned with this? Was there an improvement by the time this bike was produced? I've seen a lot of posts about stiffening up the suspension but I'm not sure if that's just older models?

·
Registered
62 Posts
Stock suspension's apparently set up for someone closer to 100-130lbs. I've heard people suggesting getting stiffer springs, putting sections of PVC into the fork tubes to increase preload, and using heavier fork oil to improve feel for heavier riders. It's all in the suspension section somewhere.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm 400 lbs and 6'5". I think my 2006 handles great. But I'm not pushing it to the limit on a track or anything. Should probably look into changing the factory tires at this point though. They're almost old enough to drink.:sneaky:

·
Registered
145 Posts
I'm 400 lbs and 6'5". I think my 2006 handles great. But I'm not pushing it to the limit on a track or anything. Should probably look into changing the factory tires at this point though. They're almost old enough to drink.:sneaky:
Ayyyee bois that's some risky business there bud. You should probably be looking into getting a new set once you reach 5 years after manufacture. Oils evap out of the rubber over time causing adverse effects to the tire such as reduced grip and more potential to develop cracks.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2 Posts
Ayyyee bois that's some risky business there bud. You should probably be looking into getting a new set once you reach 5 years after manufacture. Oils evap out of the rubber over time causing adverse effects to the tire such as reduced grip and more potential to develop cracks.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
I am I just got her running right. It's been sitting in a garage. I've taken it around town a few times but I'm definately putting new tires on it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts