Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My father in-law and I went for a ride today (He borrowed my wife's 2006 500R - I was on my ZX6R) and was going around a corner and he failed to negotiate the turn. I saw him in my mirror go off the road into the embankment. The bike went one direction and he went another. Thank god he didn't hit any trees. He really didn't get hurt besides his knees. He's going to be sore for a few days. My question is, I have full coverage on the bike. I just switch insurance companies 3 weeks ago and got full coverage on the bikes. Will insurance cover it even though it wasn't me riding it? Is it even worth turning in?

·
Registered
3,881 Posts
Make a list of repairs/replacements...
main fairing
fuel tank
front fender
etc...

What new/used parts are available cheap?
How much of the labor/painting can you do?

Will the father in-law pay? Does he have a cyclist endorsement on his license & is he insured?

Insurance companies don't have to pay squat if you let someone ride/drive your vehicles that is not licensed for it. This can lead to economic tragedy.

·
Registered
97 Posts
It all depends on how your insurance is set up. Being that he's your father-in-law and probably doesn't live at the same address as you do,then he's probably not covered under your insurance unless you have him being listed as one off the riders. Your father-in-law should look at his insurance to see if they will cover it. Some insurance companies will cover a person no mater who's vehicle their driving/riding as long as that person sets up their insurance policy that way. I think I would do what MrSciTrek stated. Keep an eye on ebay and get some new parts and have them painted. Glad to hear your father-in-law is doing OK.

·
Registered
722 Posts
^ I agree have her drive it and take a dump(not hard jsut like an "oops" without injury)and have her start crying and call the cops

·
Registered
3,881 Posts
That's not the right way to do this.
Plus you could get nailed hard w/ fraud.

The father-in-law should take the lead in getting it fixed.
If he's licensed & insured he could chose to turn it in on his insurance.
My '05 was in an accident w/ 2900 miles on it. The insurance company essentially totalled the bike & offered to sell it bake to the giy for $1300. He didn't want it. Could happen here too. They pay for a new bike & maybe sell you the damaged one which you could sell here, wherever, in whole or part.

If he's not licensed or insured or doesn't want to turn it in he should still get it fixed on his $$.
If he doesn't have the $$ or temperament... then you're stuck on your own.

What price honor & pride?

·
Registered
57 Posts
Ouch!

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
Insurance fraud FTL. You guys that recommended it, would you actually do it? Would it be worth the chance to go to prison to get someone to fix your bike (that someone being not responsible for the repairs)?

My insurance (State Farm) follows the vehicle. I've checked several times, and anyone who can legally ride a motorcycle is allowed to ride my bikes at my discretion. I only have liability, which may make a difference, but I've also got $1000 in medical coverage for the rider. Just call your insurer and ask about it. If you're worried that they may record the information as a black mark against you (they do sometimes), just call them up and don't give a name or any identifiable information. Just call as an interested party that wants some details on how they'd handle a given situation.

He ought to be the one making good on the repairs, but "ought to" and "will" are two completely different things in the real world. I had a buddy that crashed my dad's CBR f4 - totaled it, actually - and to date has never made an effort to even pay the deductible. It ended up just being a live and learn experience, I suppose. Maybe one day he'll make good, but I doubt it. And since he married my wife's sister it does no good to get pissed about it - that would just make Thanksgiving dinner taste like crap. Depending on your (or her) relationship with him, which must be at least okay if he's borrowing motorcycles, just be calm, be frank, and just talk to him about it. Maybe he'll take care of it without the insurance, maybe he'll pay the deductible, maybe something else. If he says to heck with you, the most you can really do is just never loan him anything of value again - he'll still be your old lady's pop when the dust settles.

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
MrSciTrek said:
That's not the right way to do this.
Plus you could get nailed hard w/ fraud.

The father-in-law should take the lead in getting it fixed.
If he's licensed & insured he could chose to turn it in on his insurance.
My '05 was in an accident w/ 2900 miles on it. The insurance company essentially totalled the bike & offered to sell it bake to the giy for $1300. He didn't want it. Could happen here too. They pay for a new bike & maybe sell you the damaged one which you could sell here, wherever, in whole or part.

If he's not licensed or insured or doesn't want to turn it in he should still get it fixed on his $$.
If he doesn't have the $$ or temperament... then you're stuck on your own.

What price honor & pride?
Yeah, what he said.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I filled a claim and they are going to pay for it. I hope my insurance rates don't go up. They said they will send an adjuster to estimate the damage. I thought a shop/dealer does that. How would they know what is damaged? They’re no mechanic.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Jason said:
^ I agree have her drive it and take a dump(not hard jsut like an "oops" without injury)and have her start crying and call the cops
This **** is what drives up insurance premiums for those of us who aren't fraudulent assholes.

Sorry, but the OP let an un-insured driver ride the bike. I doubt the insurance company will cover anything...and in fact will likely increase your rate because you're prone to doing things that cost them money.

What this country needs more of, is INTEGRITY.

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
rainking1978 said:
I filled a claim and they are going to pay for it. I hope my insurance rates don't go up. They said they will send an adjuster to estimate the damage. I thought a shop/dealer does that. How would they know what is damaged? They’re no mechanic.
To an extent the adjuster is trained the same way a shop/dealer is, it's just a matter that the shop will know more about what to look for in collateral damage and they'll know a bit more about what to look for on given bikes as opposed to just having blanket training for a type of vehicle. If you're not satisfied with the resolution you get, be sure to get a shop or two to quote repairs so that you can counter the adjusters figures. If they total the bike and try to low ball you, just counter with sale ads for bikes like yours in your area that are selling for more. KBB is a good resource, too.

Just as a guess, I'm going to say it's around $2400 in damage (using ballpark dealer prices and repairs) that you could fix for probably $1000 or so if you track down parts and have it painted. I'm leaning toward totaled, but personally I'd buy it back in a heartbeat and not worry about fixing and riding it. Maybe her dad could buy it and it could be his new bike ;).

·
Registered
12,314 Posts
rainking1978 said:
id think your rates would go up. unless you have some kind of accident forgiveness on your insurance. my GF has that on her car ins, and they give you one free wreck every three years.

like other people said too, the adjuster pretty much knows whats up. they arent just some bean counter that the insurance company sends out... they know what they are looking for.

oh and for the record, i was just kidding about the insurance fraud thing. sure its tempting, and you probably could get away with it... but if you dont, then you're going to either be: 1) doing 5 to 10 upstate or 2) paying tens of thousands of dollars in attorney fees, and that wouldnt even guarantee that you would stay out of jail at all. maybe only do a few months to a year lol.

i dont think the benefits outweigh the consequences.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The adjuster just called me and he wants me to take it to the dealer so that they can work with the dealer and come up with a cost to repair it. I'm hoping they just total it but I doubt they will.

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
If you're going to a bonified dealer I think you'll get your wish. All the parts will be full price Kawasaki stuff, and they'll replace everything that's touched at all. Totaling is figured on a percentage of value by most insurance companies, so you could probably drop the bike on its side in a parking lot and get close to totaling through the dealer.

The dealer may ask you what you want to happen. If you want it totaled they can price everything (fairing stay, every bolt and nut, a wiring harness if connectors are broken and smashed), or if you want to keep it they can price it using the same stay straightened, only connectors themselves replaced, aftermarket signals/mirrors (cheaper than factory bits), etc. If you work it right you could even get a custom paint job cheaper than new stock paint and graphics (and if she paints it Barbie pink maybe her dad will stay off it ;) ).

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
My insureance adjuster to me that most of the time if they recieve a claim on a sport bike they don't bother even coming out to look at it . Said reason for totaling them is the cost of the plastic alone .

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
Nick D said:
and if she paints it Barbie pink maybe her dad will stay off it ;)
Mwahaha ! :D

Yup, I got a 'totalled' bike with only scratched fairings ;)

·
Registered
3,881 Posts
malkore said:
Jason said:
This sh!t is what drives up insurance premiums for those of us who aren't fraudulent assholes.

Sorry, but the OP let an un-insured driver ride the bike. I doubt the insurance company will cover anything...and in fact will likely increase your rate because you're prone to doing things that cost them money.

What this country needs more of, is INTEGRITY.
And we need it at the highest levels: CEO's, politicians, media, music industry.... they all work to set the tone for those whose integrity is of the copy-cat variety. Right on, Malkore!

1 - 20 of 34 Posts