Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
821 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's your favorite thing to catch the oil when draining it from your moto? I have a clever container that catches and the stores the oil that I use for my car, but it doesn't fit under the moto.
Any clever, easy ideas?

R

·
0 Posts
Cat litter box. Its a 4" tall plastic tray, holds enough that you can do the cars too. Then I store the used oil in an empty cat litter bucket. Can you tell my wife likes cats?

Rich

·
Registered
47 Posts
Aluminum cake tin.

The one I have once held 4 quarts, but its aluminum and got banged up, now it barely fits in the 3.4 quarts from an oil change. From there, I use a funnel, put it in a clean milk gallon, and take it to the jiffy lube across the street for proper disposal.

·
Registered
179 Posts
I have a Wal-Mart oil pan that stores the oil it is only 4" high and it fits with plenty of room to spare when the bike is on the center stand. All the oil gets stored in the pan and I just go dump it at in the recycle bin. 8)

·
Registered
821 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I just happened by Ace Hardware and found one that fits! It's made by Wedco, BTW. It features a funnel that screws onto a small opening near the top of the storage container, so no worries about that large opening leaking once it's full and standing up. However, there's not as good of a screening feature, so if you lose a washer it'll probably go in the container!

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
I either park over a floor drain at work or over a drainage grate on my street. I don't do it on the street much since I dropped a drain plug into the grate and had to go buy a new one.

·
Registered
3,881 Posts
Nick D said:
I either park over a floor drain at work or over a drainage grate on my street. I don't do it on the street much since I dropped a drain plug into the grate and had to go buy a new one.
Nick D! Shame on you! Oil down the storm sewer?? You knop better.

You're either acting like a polluting slime-mold, or rattling my cage. (Successfully, I might add.)
Either way.... Shame. I say SHAME!

·
Registered
146 Posts
I seem to think Nick D's response is a nice joke. Or atleast I found it funny and entertaining. Maybe I just have a suck sense of humor. Oh well. I've got a pan that I don't like but it's the only one I have at the moment. It's probably 12"x12"x4" and has a spout comming off one of the sides that is about 6-8" long. It has a big opening in the top with a small grated section to place an oil filter to drain I guess. It can handle alot of oil. My truck takes 6 quarts and it is maybe 3/4 full with that. The thing I hate about it is you can't get rid of all the oil in the pan with sucking it our or using rags to clean it out. Because the way the spout is it leaves like a quart in the thing. That pisses me off because I didn't have a garage to keep it in. I will have a garage after I get back but I already threw it out before my deployment. Will I get another when I get back? Maybe. I'll look for something better though. I think blitz makes the one I'm talking about.

·
Registered
3,881 Posts
My wife has a history of minor-upsetedness for what I've used to catch draining oil.

Just cleaned/shelved the garage today...
One teflon chili pot (all scratched up because she sometimes uses metal utensils to stir with).
It's big & has enough volume but has no pour spot.
Two different tupperware-like bowls.

Have also used rectangular cake pans.

But I finally bought one of those 2 gallon plactic oil-drain containers so I've left her stuff alone for several years now. But for some reason- she still gets suspicious. ???

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
It was a joke :p. I was feeling a little sadistic so I didn't add any smilies or anything, I just wanted to see what kind of response I got. All the Sable's oil ends up at the local garage. Other oil used to always end up in the storage bin at work (64 cu ft "dumpster" full of used oil) that was recently taken to be used as heating oil. Now that we're moving to a new location we're not keeping the oil storage so I don't know how I'll handle it, but it'll be environmentally friendly regardless.

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
MrSciTrek said:
My wife has a history of minor-upsetedness for what I've used to catch draining oil.

One teflon chili pot (all scratched up because she sometimes uses metal utensils to stir with).

But I finally bought one of those 2 gallon plactic oil-drain containers so I've left her stuff alone for several years now. But for some reason- she still gets suspicious. ???
Just tell her that motor oil doesn't have any trans fats.

Between motor oil residue and scraped off teflon I'm not sure which I'd rather intake. Probably the residue.

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
And for the record I just bought a new catch basin, a small plastic one with a big lid for catching oil and a pour spout for disposing of it. Got it at Auto Zone for $12 or so.

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
Nick D said:
Good one ! :D

·
Registered
722 Posts
haven't done oil change on bike yet, but cars I use the walmart catch pan then when it gets full I walk about 100 feet into the woods and tip it out.

·
Registered
3,881 Posts
Nick D said:
MrSciTrek said:

Just tell her that motor oil doesn't have any trans fats.

Between motor oil residue and scraped off teflon I'm not sure which I'd rather intake. Probably the residue.
Think I read where tiny teflon bits have done no harm... that we know of.
Used oil has been proven to be hazardout to your health.

Liked the transfat comment. :D

·
Registered
94 Posts
I use an oil pan from Wal-Mart (It's where America shops)

the pan holds 1 gallon of oil. After that I pour the old oil into an empty 1 gallon Milk jug, put the top on it and deliver it to a gas station.

I always have a kitty litter scoop handy because about half the time I drop the @#$% oil plug into the pan, and I hate fishing it out with my hand. HOT oil = burned fingers !

Can you tell my house is cat friendly also ?

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
MrSciTrek said:
Think I read where tiny teflon bits have done no harm... that we know of.
Used oil has been proven to be hazardout to your health.

Liked the transfat comment. :D
Last thing I heard about the teflon bits was that they get into your system and they don't get back out. I guess that since I've heard the same thing of chewing gum that maybe it might be an incomplete answer :p.

·
Registered
3,881 Posts
Ok then... research time! ;D

Nothing definitive that I found. So people who think Global Warming is a fiction will find no probs w/ teflon. People who err on the side of caution may want to reduce the risk. Looks to me that used oil is still more dangerous.

Good look at teflon: http://jscms.jrn.columbia.edu/cns/2006-10-31/lim-howbadisteflon/

Here's a site with the chemical data safety sheet for teflon used in plumber's tape:
http://www.imperialinc.com/msds0713110.shtml

"HEALTH HAZARDS: "TEFLON" IS RELATIVELY NON-TOXIC. THE PRIMARY HEALTH HAZARD
ASSOCIATED WITH "TEFLON" IS EXTREMELY HIGH TEMPERATURE
(OVER 750 DEGREES F). THERMAL DECOMPOSITION BYPRODUCTS.
HIGH TEMPERATURE DECOMPOSITION PRODUCTS CAN PRODUCE A
CONDITION KNOWN AS "POLYMER FUME FEVER". CHARACTERIZED BY
INFLUENZA LIKE SYMPTOMS. THE EFFECTS ARE REVERSIBLE.

EMERGENCY AND FIRST AID PROCEDURES

SKIN: WASH WITH SOAP AND WATER
EYES: UNLIKELY
INGESTION: IF INGESTED THIS PRODUCT IS NOT EXPECTED TO CAUSE AN ACUTE
REACTION. CALL A POISON CONTROL CENTER OR A PHYSICIAN."

1 - 20 of 47 Posts