Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,549 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have used Metz, Bridgestone, Dunlop and others, but have been hearing good things about Pirelli tires for sport bikes. Has anybody put them on an EX?

·
Registered
22 Posts
I just bought the Pirelli Diablos for my 2004 EX. Size 110/70ZR17 and 150/60ZR17. I did a lot of research on sport tires for the EX, and these seem to have top performance especially for the price. I paid $81.95 for the front, and $108.95 for the rear. I ordered from Dennis Kirk and they beat mawonline.com's price by a buck a tire.I will keep you guys posted on the tires performance...

·
Registered
3,549 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Diablos

Thanks, those are the ones I was thinking about getting, when I replace my stock tires.

·
Registered
3,567 Posts
By brand, those have been the tires of choice for me for about five years now. The Diablo is an outstanding street tire with decent track capability. 8)

I usually use the Diablo Corsa, now up to Corsa III, which is more track oriented but still very streetable. For the schools I work, the Diablo series are just the right blend of performance with easy maintenance and decent life. They don't need warmers and don't heat cycle out as the "better" track tires do. The Corsa III's are perfect for teaching where there is no time to be messing with tire warmers yet you still need a pretty high performance tire. They fit that bill nicely.

For a day of no school and just harder riding I'd look to a set of Super Corsa's and while they do have even more grip, it comes with the problems of true performance tires in that they require warmers to optimize their benefits and get decent life out of them, still not as much as the Corsa III's. A lot more trouble for a little more performance. But they are worth at least two seconds, maybe four, per lap... if you can use it. ;) :)

Michelin Pilot Power's are another nice street tire. Whichever one you can get the best deal on is what I'd run. :)

·
Registered
22 Posts
Its good to hear your experience. I bought these tires because the reviews and the price, they undercut the Michelin Pilot Power's by about $44 for the set. Plus, the Diablos are supposed to last longer...

What did you use the corsa's on? I didnt know they made them in a size 150...

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
They are like the Metzlers.
ALOT LIKE.

...seeing how they are made in the same factory.
The carcass is the same as a Metzler, with a different tread design.

·
Registered
3,567 Posts
cdnsigop said:
What did you use the corsa's on? I didnt know they made them in a size 150...
They don't. I use them on my track bike, a 636, and my main street bike, an old CBR-1000F. I've also run the standard Diablos on the street bike. They work nice.

I have run the Michelins on the EX, both Pilot Power and Pilot race, which is why I mentioned them. They were both decent. I've also run the Pirelli Super Corsa's on the EX but wouldn't recommend them for street. Not nearly enough life and they heat cycle out. Sticky but beyond the need for street, IMO.

And yes, the Metzler's are similar but I'm not remembering for sure which one. I think it's the M-1 that's like the Diablo. There was also an M-4 that was more of a sport tour tire, slightly better mileage, slightly less grip. They don't have one like the Diablo Corsa III.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I received the Diablos today at 2:45, rode to the bike shop with the tires around my waist like the michelin man, got there at 3:15, and by 5 the tires were mounted, ready to go. I immediately started the scrubbing in...I have 115 km on them so far of twisties, leaning more and more each time. THESE TIRES ARE PHENOMENAL! They stick like glue, they make you confident of their ability...The bike flicks side to side much quicker than before, it seems much more nimble. I understand now what you guys said about not making it to the edge of the rear tire...It is pretty much vertical at the edge. I am extremely impressed by this tire, I will keep you guys posted on their performance in the days to come...

For you fellow Canadians, The total shipped price from Dennis Kirk with the price match was $251cdn plus $33cdn for the border fees...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts