Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 20 of 184 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i see a bunch of bikes on here without the rear fender and i wanna know how you guys did that. i think it looks better without it.

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
I just removed my rear fender . Took the brackets off (tag & mount) the fender . Next I cut a thin piece of sheet-metal (to hang & mount tag) . And finally , I intergrated the tail-lights w/turn signals .

·
Registered
55 Posts
competition werks has a great fender eliminator thats what i used, a little modding because I also integrated my turn signals in with my taillights at the same time went all LED. Its really simple, if you need a how to i can be of service.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I looked at all the kits and what not that are available, but my bike is quite old and well on in miles, so I just can't justify spending lots of money on it, especially if it's cosmetic. I simply took off the back plactis, took off the under seat plastic parts, and cut 'em up to fit nicely, you can only really tell if you were to look up under the tail directly, but it's not high enough to nitice otherwise. I also but an underseat glove box in at the same time.

R

·
0 Posts
If your going to remove the fender, go the whole 9 yards. You can make a storage area with a sheet of aluminum from Home Depot, attach with rivets.

You can make a licence bracket out of sheet metal or thin flat bar.

·
Registered
3,881 Posts
During the recent snows I pulled off the side plastic & started exploring beneath.

I took off the rear portion of the fender liner & removed the stalks, rear reflector, & license plate bracket.
Then, I marked off where to cut it using permanent marker- sraight back to just under the crease below the turn signal stalks & across the back. My Sears light bandsaw cut it easily.

I was going to shorten the stalks but there's a bolt running through. I'm thinking about replacing the rears with the 1" shorter front versions: 3 wire- both running lights & turn signals... & using LED replacement bulbs.

It's on centerstand, & not licensed yet so there's no plate. I took off the bungee brackets.
The license bracket could be attached higher, & the fender that's showing forward of the signal lights could be cut higher, though I don't want to weaken support for the stalk.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Thats clean for a stock look very nice. I also like that storage compartment, very creative! Sometimes I wished I was that creative. I had to cut the side brackets off the competition werks one due to taillight/turn signal conversion. Awesome ideas!

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
I would have to agree that the glove box is sweet . Also it has to be one of the most practicle mods I have seen yet . That thing would be soo useful . Good thinking Rich !

R

·
0 Posts
I can't take credit for the glove box mod. I got it from someone on the old site. But it is a very usefull mod. Its big enough to hold my rainsuit and a small towel.

Rich

·
Registered
90 Posts
I did basically the same thing except I integrated the tail and no glove box.

Pls excuse the dirty bike rode out a muddy driveway after putting the pipe on and the hose was frozen to the ground yet...lol

·
Registered
200 Posts
Competition Werks Elim kit.... first mod i did... had to clean up the tail..

sorry for the weak photo.. low light setting on camera in garage

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
Mine LOOKS like compwerks , BUT , I didn't pay $50+ for mine !More like oooh say NOTHIN , ZERO , ZIP , NADA ! Well you get the point ;D

·
Registered
3,881 Posts
Lucky#13 said:
Mine LOOKS like compwerks , BUT , I didn't pay $50+ for mine !More like oooh say NOTHIN , ZERO , ZIP , NADA ! Well you get the point ;D
Many are we who aim to pinch pennies when opportunities arise. ;D

1 - 20 of 184 Posts