Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
here are some pics of my lil project, I am working on making some mid panels, with the ultimate goal of combining the mid panels with the lower fairing , widening it adding a vent and making each half 1 full piece, anyway here is the start. i only glassed in one side panel, gonna do the other tommorrow.

taped the mold to a flat board

I wound up doing 4 more layers after this.

and here is a little something else that i am going to work on when I have time...

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re: fiberglass mid panels

Sorry not a marine, but the knife is damn well handy. My father in law used it in vietnam.

·
Registered
179 Posts

Not giving you a hard time...I was a Marine and anytime I see a K-Bar it makes me happy! Some A$$hat stole the K-Bar I carried during Desert Storm.

By the way forgot to tell you nice start on the sidepieces.

8)

·
Registered
34 Posts

progress? and more pictures. :p

·
Registered
261 Posts

When you're finished I demand you make a mold and make some more to sell us. :D Looks pretty good so far.

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

I did the other side last night and finished the molds for the vents, then i ran out of fiberglass cloth, i was gonna do more tonight but got lazy. I will be doing more tommorrow if i make it to the store to buy more fiberglass. I also need to buy a new hot glue gun and some other misc stuff to help in putting it all together, the just a whole lot of sanding and finish work, then take the original part, and make a mold out of it so that I can make the whole lower section a 1 piece fiberglass part.

I actually want to try and make 2 molds the first one out of plaster which I havn't tried yet but have heard that it works wonders, and when I do the final mold I'm going to probably use 2 layers of fiberglass cloth with 2-3 layers of fiberglassed fleece over it for strength. Ive used fleece before to do custom sub enclosures but never a mold, but after talking to some friends that do alot more fiberglass work than I it should actually work better than just a 12 layer cloth mold.

·
Registered
192 Posts

question DERF... how do you plan to do a "round the world trip in 2018" ? maybe fab up some floaties for the pacific to go along with the mid panels?

·
Registered
2 Posts

awesome work dude. your doing the same thing i am currently working on with the seat.

cant wait to see it done.

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

no crate the bike up and either ship or air freight it to do water crossings

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

some more pics.

There is still alot of work to do, I need to shape the mid panels, and do a lot of sanding. Then do a few coats of body filler to flatten it out, prime it, sand some more, prime again, sand again, then some more stuff, sand some more and sand it a whole bunch more after that. Oh yeh did I forget to say i need to sand it a whole lot more.

the mid pannels attached to the fairing

I made some vents to let air out from behind the radiator, and also to clear the radiator.

I cuts some off to make the sides look like they belong

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Re: fiberglass mid panels (edited 5 may)

I did a test fit to see where i need to fix it to make the seams close and it looks decent in it's not close to done stage. I know that I need to do another test fit before I make the mold so I'll take another picture then.

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

So far I'm happy with it, except for 1 small thing... In the back of the mid panel it bowed out, not sure why but the last time I test fitted it it was only off by 1/4". I think it may have been due to the sudden change in temperature outside. I still have some tricks up my sleeve and hopefully it will hold its shape better.

I have to get cracking on this, as I destroyed my original lower yesterday.

·
Registered
722 Posts
looking good, the right side seems to have a bigger gap than the left side(sides from sitting on the bike), but that may be due to the flaring.

·
Registered
3,881 Posts
Good stuff, Derf. Thanks for sharing. Keep it up!

·
Registered
440 Posts

derf said:
So far I'm happy with it, except for 1 small thing... In the back of the mid panel it bowed out, not sure why but the last time I test fitted it it was only off by 1/4".
Can you build up the back end of the fairing some to give it a rolled edge for stiffness but still leave draft for pulling from the mold? Maybe then you'd need a 2 part mold.

Failing that glassing in a 1/4" foam rib will help a lot.

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I think I actually need a 3 parts mold right now, front and 2 sides.

I adjusted it last night I will see how the "fix" came out. I am planning on adding small ribs for strength but now I need to get s straight

1 - 20 of 22 Posts