1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
R

·
0 Posts
Not to rain on your parade if you are selling those... But I use the magnets from a couple of dead hard drives. They are small but super strong, they won't fall off no matter what. But like he said, its a good thing to catch anything floating by.

Rich

·
Registered
19,389 Posts
Another good Idea that does nothing. The location of that Magnet assures that it attracts particles that have already been filterd out.

FOG

R

·
0 Posts
FOG said:
Another good Idea that does nothing. The location of that Magnet assures that it attracts particles that have already been filterd out.

FOG
So, would it be better to use the magnetic drain plug? Or are you down on the whole idea?

Rich

·
Registered
19,389 Posts
No I'm not down on the Magnetic thing. Where you put it dosen't matter much. I gues I should have added , "at least they do no harm".
My comments were directed at the add copy where they tend to claim their product is the best thing since sliced bread.

FOG

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i hear ya fog. no that's not my site nor do i sell for the dude. i just thought the price was fair and a easy link for fellow exers. fog are you gonna do a tech article on carb syncing?

·
Registered
19,389 Posts
I could, is it necessary?

FOG

·
Registered
69 Posts
It sounds like an fair idea to me, but why in gods name would you pay 28 bucks for something you could make yourself for 5 or less, just get a piece of the flexible magnet material they use to make signs for the side of cars and cut to fit your filter you got the same thing and a pocket full of extra cash!

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
cuz i like to spend money!! :p
on the end of the filter i have a high density magnet from a bimba slide rod assembly . cheap insurance!!

·
Registered
3,881 Posts
Art1989 said:
It sounds like an fair idea to me, but why in gods name would you pay 28 bucks for something you could make yourself for 5 or less, just get a piece of the flexible magnet material they use to make signs for the side of cars and cut to fit your filter you got the same thing and a pocket full of extra cash!
I don't think the magnetic sign material will work. It is made so that the magnetic pattern is a thin stripe of North parallel to a thin stripe of South, etc. The magnetic stripes are thin & close together & very weak magnetically (they have a lot of plastic diluting the magnetic material).

There's a nifty trick to demo this: get a credit card fridge magnet & cut off a 1/4" slice from each end.
Put them together so the magnetic sides face & attract each other. Leave some hangover at the ends so you can push/pull each end. Very slowly push/pull the magnets so they slide past each other.
They do a little hopscotching up, then down... (if it doesn't work, go cut off pieces along the other 2 sides)

They alternate between levitating (repeling, S across from S, N across from N) and sticking (opposite poles attract). Note that the attraction is not very strong... so I don't think it'd have much attraction for metal bits in oil... oil that's on the other side of some metal. Magnetic fields get weaker according to the inverse square law: double the distance from the magnet you get 1/ 22 the force... 1/4th. Triple the distance is 1 / 32 or 1/9th the force.

The magnets from inside hard drives are some of the strongest available... nickel plated because the alloy is otherwise rapidly attacked by air. http://www.dansdata.com/magnets.htm
Hard drives are like puzzles to get apart... mini-torx tip screws... some hidden under stickers.

Another option might be to take the cover off garage sale or junk microwave ovens (unpluged & w/ drained capacitor, of course). Remove the magnetron... silver metal, rectangular cube... w/ cooling fins. Take it apart (another puzzle) & get two strong donut magnets.
Frat-house site: http://www.autarchex.com/projects/postmortem_microwave/index.html

But... where to place them & how to hold them there?
Like FOG said the oil filter has already filtered the oil there. Seems like right near the drain plug would be good. then just before draining the warm oil, pull it off... so the metal bits come out with the flow.

Comments? (don't use "quote" or we end w/ repeat pictures)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts