Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

Finally started on winter project.

4K views 131 replies 6 participants last post by  FlipFlop 
#1 ·
This is the first time I was able to get out in the garage to work since my health issue started back last December where I would feel good only for a few hours each day, and I turned out I had received a gift of MSRA was the root issue. On the mend and spent a week in the Hospital on IV antibiotics and 2 surgeries to go in and physically cut out infections in January then 3 weeks of pill form anti-biotics.

Anyhow... that is why I have not been doing things and just now getting around to doing.

Anyone who knows me, knows I love shiny parts but, I make them shiny with some elbow grease.

I am replacing my stator cover with another from fleabay and polishing out the center and repainted the rest of it to a nice glossiness. The clutch cover on the other side and the water pump will be off of an EN500 because, I like their looks better and the water pump is not trashed cosmetically.

FYI the en500 water pump cover bolts on wih no issues except they are not the same as the edge next to the EX clutch cover is thicker so it is not a perfect fit so unless you change the clutch cover like I am, it will look wrong but work. If it were not for Fogs rear sets the clutch cover would be too thick and would not work.

Also in the process of doing all this also will be checking/adjusting the valves and replacing the O-rings with a confirmation that the left O-ring was seeping just enough could barely see it with a flashlight and could not get a picture of it at all.

Picture explanations above each pic.

The new to me OEM lower Cowl I will be removing all the decals and touching it up and heat shielding it for installation. Color is close enough to my paint.

Hood Automotive tail & brake light Motor vehicle Vehicle Automotive lighting

This is the old water pump cover that I removed and a trash pump innards I bought to compare the EN500 innards. Glad I had it as the seals I got were wrong.

Art Aluminum can Machine Tin can Paint

Top seal is the one I received wrong and is considerably bigger as the one on the bottom is the one I drove out of my housing.

Wood Liquid Finger Nail Tints and shades

Covers off Stator side.

Automotive tire Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive exterior

Covers off Clutch and water pump side. I put the impeller back on so I don't drop it and damage it.

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive lighting Automotive design Alloy wheel

CX500 Front fender extender to be modified for this bike.

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Hood Bicycle wheel

Future Shiny bits. Duplicolor Gloss black engine paint with ceramic apparently. Un buffed only paint removed and parts I want black repainted.

Auto part Eyewear Gadget Font Metal

I thought I would show also how I am attaching my Fiberglas Upper faring to the clip since it was cut off from the previous owner. Rivnut to the recue.

Hood Road surface Asphalt Bumper Automotive exterior

See less See more
#2 ·
Is that the tab near the gas tank for the upper fairing? Mine has both sides broken off if it is and I think I'm going to need to try and repair it somehow in order to mount my aftermarket lower fairing...and to keep the upper from tickling my thighs. Lol. And thank you for adding more ideas to my need to do list....the previous owner had apparently dropped the bike at a stand still and the shift lever or brake lever...cant remember which ended up making contact and scraping up the cover....the other cover just isn't as nice as it could be and the cover for the....uh....front chain sprocket....is still aluminum cover....i know when I did the sprocketing that that cover comes off with no lose of fluids...the others I'm too novice to even risk taking them off i think. But I'm sure it wouldnt be a bad idea for when I have my dad's friend check a couple things to have him take those off....let me refurbish and also change those fluids. I know the right side is oil...i imagine in front of the one chain/sprocket cover is trans....is there any need to be replaced parts from removing these covers? And I must say your bike is super clean. I'm hoping I can get the ol lady to do some small detailing work soon.

#3 · (Edited)
Sorry missed the one question about the tab... yes it is the same that the reflector and OEM normally attaches too but it is missing the lower part of it. I spent so many years cutting up these bikes Because they were everywhere all over, and now hard to find parts that are not rashed up or completely trashed.

Motor vehicle Automotive design Wood Bumper Fender

#6 ·
Got my OEM lower stripped of the decorative stuff applying DOT Yellow reflective strip and applying the heat shielding.

Side note I did happen to find a decal/sticker with instruction on the lower faring inside. Kawasaki apparently had solution for melty faring's at least on the stock pipes.

Wood Comfort Rectangle Floor Automotive design
Window Wood Chair Floor Automotive design
Sleeve Wood Tints and shades Pattern Flooring
Font Rectangle Whiteboard Space Parallel

#7 ·
Haha. My man. So hopefully going with that same measurement will work with the delkivic. Hopefully I can squeeze a little more room between the fairing and the exhaust just for good measure. Thank you for that.

And that exhaust heat shield...is that adhesive backed or something? That right there looks like it could be a descent way to go. When you figure out how it works definitely let me know where to get em.

#8 · (Edited)
You are welcome. I am pretty sure I was closer than 10mm on the bend toward the front of the bike. So take that for what it is worth. Hopefully I can get 10mm on this faring.

Yes it has a Very very sticky back, made a mistake and barely touched it and ripped that section off. Supposedly it will resist heat up to 850 deg F. This is the ebay listing #: 332678185990. That you see on the faring is everything I got for the money minus about 2 inches off the length. I cut it in half long ways, stuck half on each side and trimmed the angle off the back side. Seems legit, looking forward to testing it.

I will be putting it to the test right away this weekend. Once I get my valves checked / adjusted new O-rings installed and all the covers back on, it will be go time. I will use my laser thermometer on it to verify effectiveness on the outside and if I can get it the actual pipe temp as the comparative numbers.

#9 ·
Well it looks like its meant to be there and very well fitted from what i see. I would've thought it actually came the way it looks. Definitely appreciate the heads up and hopefully i can get it on my aftermarket one and have success with it. Looking forward to what your results are. Getting quite anxious to get stuff assembled i know that. Thank you again

#10 ·
Working on my lower fairing again on lunch and i must say....i really hope with the amount of work needed...that I actually like it. The person on the bay of E mentioned tool marks in the gelcoat and maybe a little bit of work...but I'm a good 5 hours into trying to get these little pin holes in the gel coat to feather out and cleaning up the appearance of the venting and stuff and I'm just losing the hope of it actually coming out anything but rough. I know on the lower few inches I got the idea from someone to do a sort of chip guard type material but the rest of it im worried it won't come out as hoped. Also had the hope that vinyl wrap could cover some imperfections but as far as I have found it makes them stick out even worse.....angry face.

#11 ·
Filler primer will be your friend on the gel coat pin holes. I was disappoint as well and I bought mine straight from Streamline Artech and it took them 2 months to even ship it. I bought the upper / lower and the tail all at the same time.

#12 ·
I’ve worked with Airtech stuff for years. Don’t sand through the gel coat trying to feather the pin holes out. You’ll regret it when it comes time to spray color on.

Sand the whole thing down with some 6-800 grit and use filler primer as @FlipFlop wrote. If pin holes are still prominent use some glazing spot putty to fill them and prime again.

• Helpful
Reactions: FlipFlop
#13 ·
Oh wonderful. There are a couple that are down through gel didn't think it would be a problem. But all along the one front to side corner all already had slight underneath showing so I didn't think much about it. Thank you for that advice. Ive never worked with fiberglass stuff before

#14 ·
The glass is porous so you’ll wanna prime with the filler primer first to get it all leveled out. Wet sand back to get rid of the nubs and shoot with a sealer primer once clean and dry.

If you don’t seal it, your color coat will be flat where you sanded through the gel coat. As those spots will simply absorb the color coat, they’ll look dry/flat/matte compared to the rest….unless you intend to paint a matte finish, in which case don’t worry about it too much.

Reactions: FlipFlop
#15 ·
Got my pin striping on after almost 2 years and used DOT yellow and red and black reflecting white striping too. Got all antzy and insalled the stator and the clutch covers still waiting for the water pump mechanical seals. Lower is fitted but still needs adjusting as it is less than a mm clearance from the pipes.

Automotive tire Tire Motor vehicle Wheel Tread

Tire Automotive tire Hood Automotive lighting Automotive tail & brake light
Automotive fuel system Automotive tire Tire Motor vehicle Automotive lighting
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Gas Automotive design Machine
Tire Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle Automotive lighting
Wheel Tire Fuel tank Automotive tire Vehicle
Tire Wheel Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive lighting
Tire Wheel Automotive lighting Automotive tire Motor vehicle
Motor vehicle Vehicle Hood Automotive design Automotive lighting
Hood Automotive lighting Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design

#18 ·
I love it. Looks very well done. I like that fender extender you had mentioned. Everything that you did looks like it should have come that way with the exception of some smaller details. Is the yellow thing off the left side a slider? And I wish I had an actual setup to work on like that. Likes much more convenient than on the floor...in a shed. Lol. Awesome work.

#21 ·
Fleabay, unknown seller. I bought two different ones and the first one I had to return because it was not what I wanted it was all decorated in skulls and demonic symbols and stuff. Be careful what you order from really look at their feedback.

Still waiting on my mechanical seals and the delivery date updated to Next Thursday now... May not get the testing done this weekend....

#26 ·
BTW, on those tank protectors you have to fit properly, clean the tank and de-grease it, then warm up the area to fit the protector, place it in position (note you only get one shot at it) smooth out flat with roller.
if you do it correctly it will never come off. if you do it wrong it will start peeling at the edges as soon as the bike is left in the sun for while.

#27 ·
Oh thank you for that tip. I'm usually quite methodical and a quality Nazi when it comes to doing things. So I'm glad i have somewhere to reference for a proper way of doing it one shot.
And i never used to use eBay. I always used Amazon until not too long ago. Just because it seemed like the range of things I needed and usability seemed better. But for the bike eBay has seemed easier to find stuff. Didn't realize they didn't do item feedback though and I like to research most stuff the best I can before just going for it.

#28 ·
Maybe I am not understanding what feedback you are looking at. Seller feedback is ther just click on there profile and then there star rating and you get this page. This is of a person I bought from recently just pulled their info up quickly to snap this photo.

Rectangle Font Parallel Screenshot Software

#29 ·
When I was looking for tank protectors there would be a lot that would have multiple in stock but when you go to try and check for item feedback. I've never been able to see any feedback that was for the same item in question. I'll see feedback for all types of items they have sold before though.

#30 ·
FlipFlop stupid request. Being I dont have my tank available. Could you measure that tank protector for me please? I'm seeing some pretty nice ones on Amazon but i don't want one any bigger than what you have there. And are the multiple piece ones just as resilient as the single piece ones when it comes to peeling?

#31 · (Edited)
I have been fond of the one piece personally and would think they would stay on over all better but in theory should just as good being multiple pieces. I just feel like those gaps that make a multiple piece are not being protected.

I see what you were talking about on the feedback now. Yeah the feedback is for the user. And that to me has been the bigger problem and I find brand specific reviews via Google and have to sift through all the non-related info then.

Hard to see in the picture but it is about 7" wide X 8 1/2" Long (8" to the bottom on the Roundy section)

Helmet Vehicle Automotive tail & brake light Automotive lighting Automotive tire
Helmet Hood Automotive lighting Sports gear Automotive tire

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.