Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner
41 - 45 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
Much inaccuracy of throttle control while cornering is due to necessary slack in the throttle cable and the loose fit of the throttle tube to the bar. Ride-by-wire solves half of this, but even then there is backlash in the trans - no way around that.

Put the bike on the centerstand and in say 3rd or 4th gear. Rotate the rear wheel back and forth. Has almost the same slop as a cush drive without the cush.
Ah, so I just picked a great quirky first bike then? lol

·
Registered
3,071 Posts
Ah, so I just picked a great quirky first bike then? lol
Sort of, but not for that reason. All "constant mesh" transmissions have clearance between the engagement dogs of one gear and the slots in the next gear - it's just the design. Slack is engineered into the design for reasonable shifting. Only electric bikes can have a slack-free power transmission. Must be interesting to ride them.

·
Fast Old Guy
19,994 Posts
polish was mistake or at least counter productive. you shimmed out the slop to make it tight, then lubed it to make it move??

FOG

·
Registered
372 Posts
polish was mistake or at least counter productive. you shimmed out the slop to make it tight, then lubed it to make it move??

FOG
no, to ease the "insertion" process. Keeping it clean here with no double entendres which would be too easy. Same reason I put some either vasaline or grease on a fastener right?

·
Fast Old Guy
19,994 Posts
Well they used rubber because they wanted to use the natural flex and daminpeng of the rubber. This can’t work if the rubber is not tightly bound to the metal. The lube will allow movement between the metal and the rubber,defeating the purpose and increasing the wear.
I suggest you take it apart a clean it dry and re assemble it.

Fog

41 - 45 of 45 Posts