Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm surprised I can even write this, I'm so tore up. Last night I wandered into the garage to spend a little quality time with the Ninja and put in a little more time on my project(s). On my way through the kitchen I realized I needed a beverage but didn't want my usual Diet Sunkist. Miller Lite it was.

I got into the garage and moved a few things around so that I could get to the bike. I sat down my beer and grabbed my box of electrical connectors and my stripper/crimpers. Sliding my idiot light panel into place after looking at different mounting methods (I went with the ever useful "zip tie" method for now), I pulled the wiring into the headlight bucket and hooked it up. Staring back at me, still unattached, were the wires for the speedometer back light.

At this point I leaned forward to unhook the signal wire harness to get some room to work, and I KNOCKED OVER MY BEER WITH MY ELBOW. All that cold, grain filled goodness pouring through my work table and into a cardboard box below nearly brought a tear to my eye. I snatched the now nearly-empty bottle up to save the last drink of goodness, and grabbed the box. Should I drink the beer that was pouring from the corner of the box as it drained through? Pondering, I realized that I wasn't really sure where the box came from or what was in it before, and knew that the gloves that were in it now could've been used to handle anything. Nearly in despair, I let the amber goodness drain to the floor below, mopping it up with my gasoline rag (if I'd have added some blood that'd have been the manliest rag in existence).

Feeling somewhat defeated I let my chin fall low, my shoulders slung forward, and I walked into the house to throw away the too-early-empty bottle. The wife asked what was wrong and I told her of the terrible circumstances. She offered no condolences, just something along the lines of an eye-roll. I went to the fridge in hopes of finding a replacement, and there sat yet another wonderful 12 oz, brown, glass bottle waiting to be rescued. Aha! Back to the garage!

Back into the wiring I looked for a place to hook up the wires for the gauge backlight and went with the loose running-lights-wire and the signal ground which worked well enough (yay, I can see how fast I'm going in the dark!). Periodically I would grab the beer and partake of a drink or two and get back to work, but I was smart enough to sit it farther away from my flailing elbows.

Having that wiring done I tried to mess with the taillight project a bit, looked at some clearances and examining some wiring and mounting points. Feeling that my best efforts would be found later, I decided to button up the headlight and be done. As I was taping a few wires to get things neat I reached for something across the bench. In an agonizing, nothing-close-to-cat-like move I knocked my freshly opened beer onto the same table, resulting in yet another cardboard box partaking of a waterfall of barley. I didn't let nearly so much get away from me this time, but the deed was yet again done. I mopped up what little had spilled with the same gas - and now alcohol - soaked rag, looked back at the bike, and said to hell with it. Too much had been lost on this night of modification, there was no need for further casualties.

The most important lesson I learned last night was that my work table needs a cup holder. No wonder some of you guys pay to have your bike worked on - who in their right mind would want to suffer through this? I don't even think I have any more cold beer in the fridge now!

·
Registered
261 Posts
;D What a shame, at least it was only Miller Lite... ;)

R

·
0 Posts
At least it was only American beer. Don't know how you can tolerate it!

But seriously, that's alcohol abuse right there. :(

·
Registered
267 Posts
I wouldn't drink Miller Lite if I was a drunk on Sunday... and I've been to a top-ten party school; and that proves I'll drink just about anything.

R

·
0 Posts
Nick D said:
Only Miller Lite? Only American beer? For shame! What do you ladies drink? :p
I drink Canadian and Irish beer - you know, beer with flavour, good taste, alcohol content. Boo American water beer!

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Beer and sunkist are the only way I get water, though!

I don't need Irish beer, I'm already Irish ;).

So let's turn this into a beer thread! I need to drink more beer, and you guys say my dear, sweet Miller Lite is a joke. Tell me what I need to drink instead! What's the good stuff?

If it's redeeming at all, I used to just drink Rolling Rock. I don't know what got me onto it, but I liked it. Then when my buddy only stocked Miller in his fridge I got a taste for that. Unfortunately I didn't have a taste for any of it until a few years ago. I missed out on a lot of good chances to partake.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Old Speckled Hen -- It's British and named after an MG... once you get past the initial taste, it's actually pretty good.
Killian's Irish Red -- The Kawasaki of beers.
Black Label -- if you're out of Money.
Budweiser -- Yeah, Adolphus Busch pretty much perfected beer over a century ago.

Rolling Rock is probably the worst beer you can get in the US aside from Kirin Ichiban (technically, it's Japanese but brewed in America)

R

·
0 Posts
My beers of choice

Harp.
Molson Canadian.
Alexander Keiths India Pale Ale.
Moosehead.
Heineken.
Stella Artois.

Those are just some of my common drinks. I'll also slum it with Pabst Blue Ribbon, Labatt's Blue, and a few other 'low end beers'

lol!

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
Mort Subite raspberry
Lieffmann raspberry
Heineken
Höegaarden (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hoegaarden_Brewery)

^ Imported from Europe

Éphémère
Trois Pistole (9%)
Blanche de Chambly
La Fin Du Monde (9%) <= The End of the World ;D

^ Local Microbrewery ;D : http://www.unibroue.com/our_beers_eng.html

Sleeman

^ http://www.sleeman.com/en/html/beer/sl_brands/cream/index.htm

Corona & Kokanee are good too, if you feel like re hydrating. ;)

Royson => Do you guys have the Wildcat ? :p

My sister only drinks Stella Artois

and my dad drink mostly drinks Coors

Sorry about your losses Nick D, hope you heal well ;)

All that said, I prefer other types of alcohol drinks :)

·
Registered
57 Posts
Sorry Nick for the lost

When I work on my car or bike I use a coffee mug with lid cuz I when I drop it doesn't spill :p

I do not have favourite beer. The top are European like grolsh, stella, amstel, guiness etc. Canadian would be moosehead and molson. American bud light and pabst (from bottle or keg only)

fidopunk said:
Rolling Rock is probably the worst beer you can get in the US aside from Kirin Ichiban (technically, it's Japanese but brewed in America)
You got to be kidding Kirin Ichiban is good beer. If you want to taste something bad try King Cobra or Steel Reserve ;D Oh, Sierra Nevada tastes like soup.

But for me one of the best is Black and Tan... I love it...

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
To those who in some way felt my pain, thank you for the condolences :p.

To those who recommended other beer, thanks for the ideas - I'll be sure to try a few of them out as the summer winds on. We just got a hot tub so I'll have good reason to keep cold beer handy - I don't care much for sitting in hot water but I like hanging out with the wife in her swim suit :D.

·
Registered
267 Posts
RT said:
You got to be kidding Kirin Ichiban is good beer. If you want to taste something bad try King Cobra or Steel Reserve ;D Oh, Sierra Nevada tastes like soup.
A friend of mine is Japanese and he says Kirin is extremely popular in Japan... I think I must have just gotten a bad bottle because it seriously smelt and tasted like a skunk spread open his nether regions and went to town inside that fermenting tank.

Does King Cobra or Steel Reserve even count? Those are malt liquor, right?

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
Nick D said:
We just got a hot tub so I'll have good reason to keep cold beer handy - I don't care much for sitting in hot water but I like hanging out with the wife in her swim suit :D.
^ Sounds like a good plan :)

The folks got one too, but I seem to enjoy it more during the winter, when all the neighbors close their windows and the stars light up the sky.

The temperature makes the girl feel more cuddly too ;D

·
Registered
130 Posts
spikezx5r said:
Domestic, Light and Cold..... ;D
Sounds like the women I've dated. ;)

Guinness Extra Stout
Brooklyn Lager
Sam Adams Cherry Wheat (highly reccomended)

·
Registered
152 Posts
^ I can usually only drink one Cherry Wheat because they are so sweet.

If you want some good Colorado beer, check out New Belgium brewery stuff. eg fat tire, 1554, sunshine wheat, and the summer ale, skinny dip is good for bbqs. Plus, this brewery promotes renewable energy and "green" tactics...which is a good thing in this day and age.

And, if you're in Colorado, go to Ft. Collins for the New Belgium brewery tour, awesome couple of hours (plus sampling)!

I

·
0 Posts
Dude your story has me LMAO the whole time while reading it!!!!!

as for beer, im a coors light kinda guy most of the time. if i have a few more bucks ill get Michelob or Sam Adams.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts