Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have a wiring diagram of the first gen ignition switch. I have a diagram of the second gen switch to see the differences but not for the first gen. I want to see if it is not possible to fabricate a second gen ignition to work on the first gen bike. Also, the second gen sends a signal to prevent theft. This makes me think that the units are backwards compatible but not forwards compatible. IE second gen will work on first gen but first gen will never work on second gen depending on what signal is passed down that line and where its coming from.
Sean

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
moped said:
The second gen bike uses separate coils for each spark plug so the distributer sends a 12V pulse to each coil when it wants the spark plug to fire. On the 1st gen bike I think, but am not 100% certain, the distributer sends a high voltage charge directly to the spark plug. Less efficient, more energy loss. If you can change the complete ignition system you may be OK, but you can't just change parts in it.
If you change the entire thing then you will be 100% ok. Im attempting to change pin connection or add an extra wire run to get the 2nd gen ignition to work on first gen. Dragknee ill take a look at the wiki. Im really looking for someone with a service manual for the first gens.

·
Registered
11,741 Posts
Here maybe this will help?

I really think you should just get yourself a gen 1 switch. You can really get caught up in this stuff.

I have a manual if you need more. There are several wiring diagram pages just like this separated as separate diagrams but they are all part of the wiring harness as one so it becomes complicated at times.

I am of the opinion that kawasaki purposly made these different so they can't crossover no matter how hard one tries.

Attachments

·
Registered
146 Posts
I need a diagram that has ALL of the input/output wires to the ignition switch labeled.

Charles.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts