Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
WOOOOOOOOOTTTTTT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Rode it today! I got a 3 day temp license for it and took if for a spin. A quick buzz down the road to see if it was roadworthy turned into a 20 mile ride. :D My first impression is it's a whole lot of fun. :) Secondly, I think I may need to tinker with the carbs because it didn't feel as fast as I expected. Then again I was cruising along at 70 and could have sworn I was only going 50.

Saw two other bikes out, both cruisers, couldn't ID them. One gave me the wave, the other didn't and I didn't either, he was in a turn and I was at a stoplight in 1st so I was holding the clutch.

Bugs...gahhh, I can live with it I guess but the mess was gross.

Got a good scare my first turn off the highway. Came in a bit fast and wide and tried braking a little, little too much on the rear and it broke loose, I was going slow enough I just straightened up and rode it to a stop in the turn.

All in all.... :) Going out for another ride in a sec, need to pick up some chain oil before I can ride it to work tomorrow.

Edit - OK, back from the store and another ride. Couldn't find chain oil near me so I have to wait until tomorrow, used some 90w gear oil instead. Up to 38 miles. :)

·
Registered
31 Posts
Just take it easy for a while till you get a really good feel for the bike. I'm up to 300 on mine. Locked the rear wheel up once so far as well.

I've ridden dirt bikes for years and was a pretty good rider on those, but a street bike is a whole different thing.

Watch for idiot drivers in cars, don't mess around, and you should be fine.

Have fun.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Please tell me you've taken an MSF or equivalent course. If not I recommend it. Basics may be basics but basics are good at keeping you alive. The course has alot of that. Also some slow speed manuevering which isn't so life esential but could keep you from looking like an idiot at times. It won't turn you into a racer but I'd be willing to bet my life that you would learn atleast 1 thing from the course.

·
Premium Member
25,165 Posts
don't overly worry about keeping the chain clean and lubed. 1 can of chain lube should last you years.

have you ridden street bike in the past?

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
bhd1223 said:
Please tell me you've taken an MSF or equivalent course.
Rest assured, I have. The MSF was one of the easiest things I've ever done.

Knightslugger said:
have you ridden street bike in the past?
No, just lots and lots of dirt, and sometimes dirt bikes on pavement when I could get away with it. ;) (dumb now that I think back on it)

·
Registered
722 Posts
damarble said:
WOOOOOOOOOTTTTTT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Rode it today! I got a 3 day temp license for it and took if for a spin. A quick buzz down the road to see if it was roadworthy turned into a 20 mile ride. :D My first impression is it's a whole lot of fun. :) Secondly, I think I may need to tinker with the carbs because it didn't feel as fast as I expected. Then again I was cruising along at 70 and could have sworn I was only going 50.

Saw two other bikes out, both cruisers, couldn't ID them. One gave me the wave, the other didn't and I didn't either, he was in a turn and I was at a stoplight in 1st so I was holding the clutch.

Bugs...gahhh, I can live with it I guess but the mess was gross.

Got a good scare my first turn off the highway. Came in a bit fast and wide and tried braking a little, little too much on the rear and it broke loose, I was going slow enough I just straightened up and rode it to a stop in the turn.

All in all.... :) Going out for another ride in a sec, need to pick up some chain oil before I can ride it to work tomorrow.

Edit - OK, back from the store and another ride. Couldn't find chain oil near me so I have to wait until tomorrow, used some 90w gear oil instead. Up to 38 miles. :)

The ninja isn't a supersport so It's not going to be insane fast, but it does have some get up and go. 70 on the speedo isn't truly 70, there's a 6% difference and the speed reads high.

I like the biking community because of the wave only ever experienced that with the good 'ol boy community in my truck, don't wave if you don't feel comfortable taking your hands off the bars, a head nod works when you're stopped, imo.

Bugs are gross I have to wiped down my faceshield between stops on my trips.

As FOG has said in the past any braking while street driving is usually a result of an error in judgement, which is true I rarely use my brakes unless Im coming to a complete stop or doing a 90 degree turn or intersection turn. and use the front brake(squeeze don't grab) and not the rear unless in emergency(and then lightly at first), the rear brake will only serve to cause an accident while riding.

the chain only needs to be lubed(use proper lube because of the o ring seals) every 400~miles, excess needs to be wiped off or you spend a good while cleaning up your rear rim, tire, under tail, etc.

I'd tell you to take the MSF, but as I haven't yet myself it wouldn't seem right. Though I'd suggest it, and I'd go too if I had the green at the moment. After you start racking up miles your confidence will grow ( I will hit 1k tomorrow), but drive with some fear because over confidence will do as much damge as underconfidence as my lower fairing will tell you when I dragged knee in the parking lot at work (it's a wrap around lot and fun as hell when noones there in the mornings).

·
Registered
94 Posts
Be careful using the rear brake, the front brake has 80% of the stopping power in it, and you only get like 20% from the rear brake.

Keep riding, and oh, try using a shield on your helmet if you don't like the bugs :D

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Took it to work today. Up to 85 miles since last night. Best commute ever.

Saw a handfull of bikes today, cruisers and crotch rockets both, and got waves out of 75% of them. Feels good to be part of a "brotherhood" of sorts.

Stopped by bike shop and grabbed a cargo net after realizing what a pain it is to carry stuff w/out it.

Got a lot of different looks from coworkers when I strolled in dressed in full leathers. Most commented on how cool it was, and a lot asked if I was hot in them (mid-70's today). I actually felt really good, perforations FTW.

Gman said:
Be careful using the rear brake, the front brake has 80% of the stopping power in it, and you only get like 20% from the rear brake.

Keep riding, and oh, try using a shield on your helmet if you don't like the bugs :D
I was trying to use both brakes for an even slow down, my first mistake was braking while still in the turn and my second was forgeting I had a brand spankin new tire on the rear.

And my helmet is a FF, the shield's there, just covered in splatter, really discusting, and pretty bad today. I caught a monster bug on the way home that took out at least 20% of my viewing area. :p

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
hehe, I know the feeling..

Am I the only one stopping at a gas station only to use the squeegee ?

I don't even take the helmet off, I park, get off, grab the squeegee, wipe the facesheild, put the squeegee back where I got it and take off.. Quick and efficient. <= I do get quite a look from bystanders ;D

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Frog said:

I don't even take the helmet off, I park, get off, grab the squeegee, wipe the facesheild, put the squeegee back where I got it and take off.. Quick and efficient. <= I do get quite a look from bystanders ;D
Ha, that would look kinda funny. Seems messy too, you don't get water running down and dripping on you?

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
Lean forward, the drips fall on the ground.

Don't press too hard on the sponge side or else you'll have stuff dripping inside the helmet.

Don't worry if it's still a bit wet when you go back on the road, it'll get off uber quick (especially if you hit the highway)

·
Registered
12,314 Posts
Frog said:

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
exactly but... Where are the leathers ? ;D

·
Registered
94 Posts
I had a huge green gut bug splat my face shield last weekend. I saw the thing coming and it hit just below the right eye on my shield. Ewww bug goo running off the side of the shield.

My least favorite bugs to hit are June Bugs ! Big, hard shelled bugs that hurt when they hit !

:eek:

·
Registered
3,881 Posts
Frog said:
exactly but... Where are the leathers ? ;D
Human leather... it's just not tanned & treated yet.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts