Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Not worth it, part it out

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm sure most of you remember about my wife's 500R being wreck by her father. Well, insurance company totalled it and I bought it back from the insurance company and was going to fix her up with s salvage title. Got a quote for the parts I need and it's close to 1k. Is it worth fixing it or should I just part it out?

Part Number:

23007-1375 - Headlight - $177.99
55052-5253-816 - upper fairing - $570.69
46003-1390 - handle bars - $29.62 x2
46012-1248-10 - handle bar bracket - $74.08
46012-1249-10 $- handle bar bracket - 74.08
35040-1052-816 - upper stay bracket - $81.94

Total around 1k.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Fix that sucker. But don't buy from the dealer! Cut those prices in half with ebay.

·
Registered
270 Posts
part it out... just cuz I want the engine ;)

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
Hey, if you feel up to the challenge, fix it !

Cheaper than buying new and way more rewarding ;D

Go with D-Bay and check here often it will lower your expenses.

·
Registered
348 Posts
well it's a 2006, so I have to recommend repairing it.
But if the bike isnt going to see much use anyhow, there are other people out there who could really use the parts at a reasonable price. So you'd be helping them out if you took that route. ;)

·
Registered
106 Posts
hollywood said:
make it a streetfighter and you're looking at a couple hundred...worth it
+10

Graft on a custom rear section from a different bike, do a rear swing arm swap, get a nifty front headlight bucket, some clip ons, and rear sets and your bike will be golden...

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the suggestion. I found an upper on ebay. The seller just posted it so I went into action. It's damn near impossible to get a used upper anywhere! Well, I emailed the seller and asked if she could sell it to me for $200 + shipping and she counter offered $295 + shipping. I took the bait and bought it. I've seen worst condition go well over $300. So she is on her way to getting fix.

Edit:

The power commander III and the pazzo shorty levers for the zx6r will have to wait now. :mad:

·
Registered
165 Posts
From my crash, these are the parts they said needed to be replaced. It turns out all the highlighted parts (with the exception of the bracket-upper cowling) didn't need to be replaced. All in all the whole crash cost me $498.70. That's 20.6% of what the dealer quoted me as needing. If you want a list of the parts that I bought and what I got them (for references as to fair prices for parts), that's possible too. You'll have to buy the upper stay bracket from the dealer, almost none are around that aren't bent.

·
Registered
165 Posts
You may want to check this out as well. An used upper fairing bracket (doesn't say if it is bent or broken anywhere) Ebay item number 170107180967

·
Registered
504 Posts
Heeeeey Blent87 ! Pilgrim Motorsports is where I bought my Ninja too! Small world. Tell ya what though, that chick that sold it to me knew NOTHING about motorcycles. I think she counted on her feminine charm to make her sales. :p

·
Registered
47 Posts
(Sorry in advance if this is too nosy, don't answer if it is)

So wait,

Are these repairs coming out of your pocket or your in-laws? Doesn't seem fair for him to crash it and have you foot the bill, ya know?

I still voted for repair though, especially with a lower fairing cost.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Red, I didn't buy my EX from pilgrim, I bought it used from some guy downriver. It is the place I go for all of my parts and service, though. Not because it's cheap, that's for sure, but because it's the closest place to my house (prolly 10 mins away from my house). Just looking at the price quote that pilgrim gave me vs. the prices that rainking got, mine are on average about 15% more.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
blent87 said:
Red, I didn't buy my EX from pilgrim, I bought it used from some guy downriver. It is the place I go for all of my parts and service, though. Not because it's cheap, that's for sure, but because it's the closest place to my house (prolly 10 mins away from my house). Just looking at the price quote that pilgrim gave me vs. the prices that rainking got, mine are on average about 15% more.
That is because advance kawasaki (kawiforum sponser) gives 15% discount to all kawiforum members.

·
Registered
504 Posts
OK Rainking, I'm another "fix it" voter, but is your wife gonna still ride it or does she want something else now?
I've heard some people say look on EvilBay for your fairing but I know a guy who bought a GSXR fairing there and when he got it, it was cracked. Now if your Ninja was an old beater to start with I might consider Ebay...
Oh yeah hey Blent I actually initiated my purchase at Champion in Belleville, they Pilgrim and Ray's in Monroe all have the same owner now. Got it last year for $4550 OTD, thought that was a pretty good deal.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts