Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner
21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2,389 Posts
hi guys, yes the diagram @onewizard has is for the north American "D" model with a 7 wire switch. the UK model has 5 wires because we do not have running lights and the bikes are fitted with a light switch.
although as far as I can see the switch positions are the same except for the last two wires on the right (switch positions Bat & TL3) and of course only having 5 wires they all fit into the 6 pin connector (no separate single brown wire)

·
Administrator
07 Ducati SS800 '95 Ducati 900SS/SP '19 Honda CBR650R
16,106 Posts
does this help at all? a schem for 99 "non-USA models" with 5 wire switch here

Font Book Parallel Pattern Rectangle

Rectangle Handwriting Font Parallel Pattern

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
@onewizard okay well I'll order a known good cdi unit and take it from there ,for the none spark.
Thanks for the help so far appreciate it 👍.

Also while I'm getting hold of a new cdi
I've sourced the following Parts ready to swap over

A full wiring loom mine is tatty and has been repaired before has various plugs cut off and hardwired also they have filled the plugs with axel grease instead of dielectric grease So so its kind of a mess,don't need that headache.

New regulator rectifier mine has the plug cut off and hardwired to the main loom
The regulator also looks a bit scabby and I see corrosion building up on the case around where the wires come out of the body of the regulator.

New left hand switch gear was missing to begin with

And a 100ohm resistor just to be safe

Failing all this I'll start with ordering a stator plate and windings pick up coil and fly wheel

As I say the bike is going back into service regardless if it likes it or not lol
Once ive gotten the spark the bike will be stripped blasted and repainted and restored

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Just want to thank everyone here for thier input the bikes fixed
Faulty cdi unit
Material property Gas Font Rectangle Jewellery

The only advice I can give when chasing this gremlin
Is to remove all visible electrics and inspect
Had I pulled the cdi off to visually check it inbound have saved 100s of questions and hours of messing around

Cheers fellas

·
Registered
1 Posts
Here we go. This may sound unusual, take your meter and connect to your positive battery terminal, you mentioned both red wires I assume are going to the CDI , the other wire is negative from the ECM , using your negative meter lead connect to the other wire of the cdi, try keying on post the VDC and then cranking VDC on those wires, each unit has a separate wire from the ECM , the red wires are common positive from the kill switch ,and ECM I don't have a current drawing but this could be a starting point.

·
Premium Member
117 Posts
Not sure why you are quoting me.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts