Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, just bought this bike for my wife. It's a '98 with very low mileage (6k), in what seems to be near perfect condition.

Only issue is a heavy flat spot from around 3k up till just over 4k. I've seached for similar info on this board, but have seen conficting results. Somebody please help me right this ship.

Previous owner drilled a 1" hole in left side of airbox and added K&N filter. Carbs are stock (no jet kit), pilot screw out 2.5 turns. Carbs are synched, idle is set to 1500 rpms.

·
Registered
19,367 Posts
Ok seem you've got all the adjustments that normall work fine. but at that age in is quite possable to have plugged or partially plugged pilot jets. Try opening the pilot screws more 3-4 or more turns, If that dosn't have any effect then almost certainly you have plugged pilots. Try cleaning the inside of the plug boots.

FOG

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
FOG said:
Ok seem you've got all the adjustments that normall work fine. but at that age in is quite possable to have plugged or partially plugged pilot jets. Try opening the pilot screws more 3-4 or more turns, If that dosn't have any effect then almost certainly you have plugged pilots. Try cleaning the inside of the plug boots.

FOG
Ahhh...

The resident expert replies (just as I had hoped). Thanks for the quick reply, I'll try what you suggested. How would you reccomend I clean the plug boots?

·
Registered
19,367 Posts
tonyjuliano said:
FOG said:

FOG
Ahhh...

The resident expert replies (just as I had hoped). Thanks for the quick reply, I'll try what you suggested. How would you reccomend I clean the plug boots?
Take them off (they unscrew from the wire)
take them apart and use any solvent to wipe out the insides of the black plastic tighten the brass screw in the bottom.
cut 1/4" off the wire screw back in.

Do this every oil change.

FOG

·
Registered
722 Posts
they get dirty quickly I assume.

Um dumb question time, you wouldn't cut off 1/4" of wire each time you cleaned would you, just for this case, correct?

·
Registered
19,367 Posts
If you take them off. yes. three inches of wire costs about (1 muzzy)/10,0000

FOG

1 - 8 of 8 Posts