Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi again. I have another question(s). The other day I cleaned carbs but didn't clean float valves(I'm in learning phase). Took it to a shop to sync the carbs. Guy did it and while test riding it gas started pouring from overflow tube. He tapped them with screwdriver and it stopped. He told me that I don't have to take it apart and just to keep riding. It may never happen again is what he said. Bike was sitting for 2.5 years before I got it last week. Is that true or should I take them apart and clean float valves. I had mixture screws out 2.5 turns out(original was 1.8 and 2) and he had to take one of them out to 4 turns to get spark plug chocolate brown because was running lean. Also, day before that happened I changed oil (Rotella synth 5-40) and after checking oil today I have 0.1 liter of gas that got in my crankcase. I removed some to bring it to same level. I know that it's only 0.1 liter of gas in 3.2 liter of oil but should I change it again or that's not a problem at all. Just want to make sure I'm not damaging my engine. What would happen to gas in oil. Would it evaporate or not? Thank you for your time.

Regards, Damir

·
Premium Member
25,165 Posts
i'd say .1 liter of gasoline in the oil is A LOT. it doesn't evaporate quick enough so the only way to get rid of it pronto is to change it out.

there are 2 ways gasoline get into the crankcase: Float Valve failure coupled with a petcock failure OR over rich air / fuel ratio that leaves unburned liquid hydrocarbons in the combustion chamber and leaks past the rings.

the former is common on the EX, so i'd take another look and make sure the floats are clear, clean and set to 17mm. then look at the petcock. get a rebuild kit or buy a new one, or make a habit of turning it off after every ride.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm not riding bike yet. It will be another 2 weeks before I have everything together(headlight, blinkers, title, registration) and start riding often. Right now I just start it in garage while working on it. Is that enough time for gas to evaporate or should I go and change the oil? I'll take the carbs apart and clean/adjust float/valve. Thank you.

Regards, Damir

·
Premium Member
25,165 Posts
the gas will not evaporate at a significant rate when mixed with oil. it is more detrimental to the integrity of the oil than anything else. change it out, but after you fix the problem. simply starting the motor and stopping it will only make it worse.

fix it, fix it, fix it.

·
Registered
19,367 Posts
Be sure to back flush the line back to the carbs.

FOG

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just like FOG said to someone before, there was little piece of rubber or something like that in one of the seats. Cleaned it good and now no flooding anymore but idle is bit high(2-2.5 k range).
??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ???

Regards, Damir

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Tried to do it and wouldn't go below 2.5k. Next day it was much lower(1.7K) by itself. I'll sync carbs today and play with mix screw and see.

Regards, Damir

·
Registered
19,367 Posts
That indicates that your sync is way off. One throttle is shut while the other is open a good ways.
With the engine running back off the Idle knob fully . the turn the Sync screw (the one with the spring ) untill the engine stops. then open the Idle knob some, re start the engine and re set the Idle. That will get the sync pretty close without any instruments.

FOG

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thank you FOG. Just saw your reply but I did some other stuff before. I made one of those sync tools with two bottles and tool works fine. Sync was off(don't ask me how, guy had it adjusted last week in local shop, $50). I adjusted it while idling and it was perfect. Every time i open throttle one side starts puling harder. It is always different at different engine speeds. I want to make it as good/precise as I can. At what engine speed should I have it synced perfectly? Is it more important to have it perfect while idling or 3,5,7,9K rpm?
Thank you for your time.
Regards, Damir

·
Registered
19,367 Posts
Think about what you just asked and answer it yourself.

FOG

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Lol. It's important to have it right at all speeds of engine BUT it seems to be impossible to do it. I've read it somewhere that carbs should be synced while idling but just wanted to hear your opinion since I value and respect it. Makes sense to me to have nice and steady idle. I was just wandering what is healthy and important for my half liter, not what's important for me. Just want to make sure my bike is running correctly. I'm just learning here.Thanx FOG.
Regards, Damir

·
Registered
19,367 Posts
Well I thought you'ed choose a nice smooth running 2-3000 slot for smothest crusing. But hey it's not a biggie.

FOG

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
FOG, I need help here. My half liter is driving me crazy today. Synced the carbs at 3k. Set pilots at 2.5 out and checked plugs. One cylinder was running rich, plug was black, covered with residue. Set it to 1.8 turns out(original from factory was same) and now is nice and brown. The other side is the one I don't get. There is no residue on the plug. I've cleaned plugs before I started adjusting mix screw. Started at 2.5 turning out all the way to 4 and plug looks like it was sitting next to my bike, nice and clean. I was told that plugs should be chocolate brown when everything is running right. I would adjust it, start the bike and let it idle for 4-5 min. During that time I would also open throttle few time. The other side was easy. I could see color change for every 1/4 of the turn. Idle is wierd too. Adjusting screw is not even close to carb and it still idles at 2, 1.8, 1.4K. When I open throttle it doesn't picks up right away but it's not that bad. But rpms are not dropping smoothly after I let it off throttle. Comes down to 2k and then slowly drops to 1.4K. This is very confusing. Also I've noticed that bike was idling smoother and idle speed was slower(1.2K)earlier today when I had carbs synced at idle speed. Then I started all over again and synced them at 3K. Does that make any sense? As usual thank you so much for your time.
Regards, Damir

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Anybody there?????? I changed plugs today and resynced carbs at 1.4k rpm(that's my idle, won't go any lower). Again one carb is easy to adjust(pilot/mix screw) but other doesnt respond at all. I go from 2 to 4 turns out and plug still looks like new,no residue of any color. How is that possible? Is it possible that something is clogged in carb(I did clean it three days ago, installed in line filter but plugged/unplugged feeding hoses several times while working on it). Spark seems to be same on both cylinders(plug resting on cyl head while cranking). Any idea? Someone help.
Regards, Damir

·
Registered
19,367 Posts
Troube shooting like this is a crapshoot from my seat. I have no Idea what you have done to you poor bike. all I can say at this time from what you have said is: The carb that the Pilot screw is not responding has a plugged pilot jet and therefore no gas is flowing to the screw, so no matter what you do to the screw there will be no effect. I could ask a million questions but I don't have a lot of faith in your answers. You said you cleaned yur pilot jets but the evidence say you did not.

There couls be false air fro an open vacume line ot a cracked rubber boot. or it could be spark. Have you cleaned your plug boots?

Add on infatanum.

FOG

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Ok. I took carbs off today and cleaned everything again. Everything was clean just like three days ago but there was some dirt in main jets ??? ??? ???. Cleaned everything again and now it is firing on both cylinders :) :) :). Plugs are chocolate brown(one pilot 2.5, other that was not responding yesterday is 4 turns out) and seems to run great. And of course there is now(again) same old problem with idle. Back to problem from begining. It idles at 3.5K. Sync is perfect at that engine speed and if i turn sync screw any direction rpms increase. My idle adjustor is all the way out, not touching carbs. Checked and cleaned plug boots also. Sorry for being PITA but I'm trying to fix it and learn something. Go ahead FOG, ask me million questions(if you have time). Trust me, I wouldn't tell you I've done something if I didn't do it. Thanx for your time.

Regards, Damir

1 - 20 of 35 Posts