Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
15,401 Posts
Theoretically, the nub should prevent full insertion of that remnant. Trying to figure out how it got fully past the stops machined in the carb body.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Theoretically, the nub should prevent full insertion of that remnant. Trying to figure out how it got fully past the stops machined in the carb body.
I have no idea except it was in there. I have a spare carb body will have a look tomorrow. although I don't have a spare vent tube to measure the overall length of the two pieces. I cannot even be sure this was causing the issue will not know this until the bike is left stood for long enough. this may be a while though as the gen 1 is not on the road yet (requires a new rear tyre) the old one is 6 years old now it will not pass the vehicle inspection without one. and 16in tyres of the correct grade are in short supply over here.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
hi @ducatiman. I was going to do a short video of the issue in question but the batteries in the go pro died. so did a few shots with the camera instead hope this helps.

first I got the spare right side carb body and measured the length of the internal vent pathway with a Vernier.
54464


it measures 61.10mm total length. the piece that was in the carb measures 26.2mm.
the difference is shown here. on the Vernier.
54465


with the piece inserted in the carb body you can clearly see it blocks the right side vent hole.

54466


then I measured the remaining length of the vent hole after the piece was inserted into the vent port.

54467


the space left for the vent tube to go in is 32.95mm. unfortunately I do not have a spare vent tube to measure how long it is. or how much room it needs to fit in.
hope this explains what I was trying to portray. in the thread.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
since doing the measurements I have come up with a theory (could be right or wrong) never really thought about it before. what if the blocked vent on the right side pressurised that float bowl when the fuel was turned on and because it could not vent increased the fuel level in the left side as this one does vent. thereby overcoming the left float valve increasing the level to the point fuel escapes out of the overflow on the vented left carb.
then by tuning off the petcock. stopping the flow. and starting the engine reduced the left float level stopping the leak.
once the engine takes fuel from both carbs it keeps the levels a lot lower in normal running..

could account for why on the wet test the left was slightly high and right slightly low. (they were perfect when set last year) tapping the bowls probably did nothing much at all or if it did just helped the left float seal tighter to overcome the increased pressure. still doesn't explain why time it was left factor comes in, only to assume the longer it was left the more pressure there was. Dunno. it's all I can come up with. will have to wait to see if it reoccurs over time.

All I do know is there is nothing else I can find amiss in the carbs. the wet test levels are perfect now. and even after leaving them on test a total of 10 hrs with the petcock open there bone dry and the levels never moved.
 
21 - 24 of 24 Posts
Top