Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I seem to have remembered that there was a topic regarding replacing the flywheel/magneto of the 1st generation bike with the 2nd generation one. I searched and couldn't find it. I seem to remember that all I had to do was grind off something or another to make it work. Can someone please help me on this?

·
Registered
19,366 Posts
Yep you got it.
Just grind off the extra triggers on the new one till it exactlly matches the old. The operative word here is "EXACTLLY"

I your buying a new flywheel from a OEM source the new "Old" ones have been up graded to cover the magnets as the new ones are.

FOG

·
Registered
6 Posts
I'm about to replace my 1st gen flywheel with a 2nd gen one as well. FOG, can you be a bit more specific on what I need to grind off, and the best method to do so? Thanks! :)

·
Registered
19,366 Posts
On the outside diameter on the old one you'll see a raised square section. Thats the trigger. On the old bikes they used two pickups (one for each cylinder and one trigger.
On the new flywheel the are three raised areas Or triggers because the use only one pickup and the Ignitor figures it out (that's why you can't swap ignitors)

You need to match the new one to the old buy gringing off the extra triggers. Put to two flywheels right nest to one another and with a ruler and a pencil transfer the edges from the old to the new. the on a pedastal grinder or a hand drill with a grinding wheel in the chuck remove the extra bumps as flush as you can.

FOG

1 - 4 of 4 Posts