Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
FOG said:
...problem was likely to be that very weld fracture you asked about. That failure is so common there should have been a factory recall on it years ago. I guess the weld last just long enough to be out of warrentee therefore who gives a $hit. Not K for sure.

FOG
FOG,

This news is a little disconcerting; Thanks for making me aware of this weakness. I love performance enhancing upgrades, but without reliability you have nothing (you have a sweet bike sitting by the side of the road). Especially if you consider any touring or longer distance travel. Talk of a recall makes if sound like this was not an isolated incident. Could you expound a little more about the seriousness of this issue?

- Would this be worth pulling the flywheel and reinforcing the welds for peace of mind?(can this be done?)

- Is there a warning sign (like you hear this noise and know if you shut the motor down you won't have a starter to restart with) (or you better shut down or you won't have an engine)?

- In an emergency, if this failure occurs can the bike be driven if you, say push start it(maybe down an incline or so)?(so you can get it home)

Thanks FOG!

·
Registered
19,367 Posts
2001ex500 said:
FOG said:
...problem was likely to be that very weld fracture you asked about. That failure is so common there should have been a factory recall on it years ago. I guess the weld last just long enough to be out of warrentee therefore who gives a $hit. Not K for sure.

FOG
FOG,

This news is a little disconcerting; Thanks for making me aware of this weakness. I love performance enhancing upgrades, but without reliability you have nothing (you have a sweet bike sitting by the side of the road). Especially if you consider any touring or longer distance travel. Talk of a recall makes if sound like this was not an isolated incident. Could you expound a little more about the seriousness of this issue?

- Would this be worth pulling the flywheel and reinforcing the welds for peace of mind?(can this be done?)

- Is there a warning sign (like you hear this noise and know if you shut the motor down you won't have a starter to restart with) (or you better shut down or you won't have an engine)?

- In an emergency, if this failure occurs can the bike be driven if you, say push start it(maybe down an incline or so)?(so you can get it home)

Thanks FOG!

I don't think I would be concerned enough to try to preempt this failure, but if I happened to have to remove the flywheel for another reason I certainly would r do the weld.
There won't be any warning it'll work just fine till it breaks, They often work indeterminately after the weld breaks,as the ragged edges of the broken weld catch and hold enough to crank the engine.
You can run the engine without causing any further harm and you can push start it.

FOG

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks FOG, that helps a lot. Once again your experience and knowledge prove invaluable to us newcomers.

Thanks! :)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts