Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner
1 - 20 of 59 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok guys, this may make me look stupid馃槀. Tore apart my carbs and cleaned them and set the floats, the works. Planned on doing the fog mod, pulled off the cover, and I鈥檝e got 2 holes. I could totally be wrong here and didn鈥檛 end up reading enough threads, but these holes look drilled. Do I need to drill more?
Train Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bumper Rim
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bicycle part Rim Automotive wheel system

Registered
Nope. I believe you have too many holes already the hole in the side (1st photo) should not be there. the the hole in the end (2nd photo) is the mod if the hole is 1in in diameter.

Registered
the second side cover hole is too big. a 1" did hole as carefully developed to provide the optimum results on a Dyno.
plug it and reduce it some way

FOG

Registered
Whoa, that's kind of a hack job of the mod. What are the diameters of the hole? As FOG said there should be only one 1" diameter hole. You can have multiple holes with surface area adding up to Pi*(0.5)^2 but this looks like someone did 2*Pi*(0.5)^2

Maybe put some duct tape on both outside and inside of the right side cover hole.

Also check your pilot screw turns. Per mod the baseline to start is 2.5 turns.

And is there K&N filter or stock/other?

Premium Member
84' Goldwing Aspencade, 91' EX500, 98' Ninja 250/17' 300 engine, 07' EX500
Could just buy a set of covers off here in the for sale section, or try eBay

Registered
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for all the help guys! That was my reaction when I first saw those holes. Clearly drilled. The air fuel screw was only out about 2 turns. Thing just wasn鈥檛 running well, but runs much better after a cleaning. I鈥檒l tape the hole on the cover and see how that goes!

Registered
if you measure the diameter of the holes you can buy rubber blanking grommets to cover them personally I would cover both from the second photo it looks like your using a stock filter not sure the mod is as effective with a stock filter.

something similar to this E-bay item # 262281562555

Registered
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
if you measure the diameter of the holes you can buy rubber blanking grommets to cover them personally I would cover both from the second photo it looks like your using a stock filter not sure the mod is as effective with a stock filter.

something similar to this E-bay item # 262281562555
I don鈥檛 think it鈥檚 as effective but the filter is fairly new so I鈥檇 prefer to keep it! Bike still runs well, but I need to adjust and sync. Any suggestions on how to do that?

Registered
well first thing I would suggest is filling those holes your getting too much air in, from what you have written the bike is doing I would suspect you have too weak a mixture. it may not adjust up correctly how it is.
a sort of pod dilemma. if you understand me. balancing and final carb adjustments are in the "how to" section.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
well first thing I would suggest is filling those holes your getting too much air in, from what you have written the bike is doing I would suspect you have too weak a mixture. it may not adjust up correctly how it is.
a sort of pod dilemma. if you understand me. balancing and final carb adjustments are in the "how to" section.
I鈥檒l check that section out! I taped over the hole fog told me to. It runs well, seems to rev better, I just need to finish it up!

Premium Member
84' Goldwing Aspencade, 91' EX500, 98' Ninja 250/17' 300 engine, 07' EX500
If you're close to South Central Kentucky I should have some spares, you could just pick them up from me

Registered
I would agree with Yorkie that if you have a stock filter you should cover the holes entirely and set back to stock 2.25 turns on each pilot. But if you feel it's running well through the rev range can't argue with that.

Either way K&N filter and proper FOG Mod adjustments are still recommended.

Registered
yeah I am not sure if everyone would agree. but the difference between running ok and whoa wtf is a very fine line.
all it needs is something to be a little off and out of tune. it takes practice to know when it's ok or the best it can be.

Registered
Fog had the advantage of lap times. That timer woul show you the most minute error. Once you reach expert level your ability to turne consistent laps is remarkable. Enough so as to be a good judge of level of tune.
all of my posts here were developed in that lab.

Fog

Reactions: yorkie

Registered
yeah that's kind of what I was getting at but not in racing terms, we all know what the EX is capable of at best tune. a road rider probably would not know if it was a few HP down it would still be better than the average 500 twin but put that HP back and you notice instantly.

Registered
It's a shame nobody could ever procure a bike Dyno would be cool to see before and after numbers for torque throughout the rev range. We all know the "dip" is eliminated.

Registered
yeah most of the dyno's are done after. but a sort of insight could be gained from my nephew. he rides a ER500 (the 45hp version) early summer I loaned him the gen 1 for 2 days while he had new tyres fitted. when he brought it back his face was magic "how the "F" is that the same engine as mine" when I explained he said he wanted one this winter I am supposed to build him one (if he gets the parts) .

Registered
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Quick little update, it runs like **** now. I think I messed up the carb sync, waiting for an actual carb sync tool now. Tried to start it and it hated idling and the choke barely worked. Ran ok when on the road, but overall ran like ****.

Administrator
Quick little update, it runs like ** now. I think I messed up the carb sync, waiting for an actual carb sync tool now. Tried to start it and it hated idling and the choke barely worked. Ran ok when on the road, but overall ran like **.
Synch is rather black & white....you "think" you messed it up? Exactly what method/tool did you use to synch it?

Registered
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Synch is rather black & white....you "think" you messed it up? Exactly what method/tool did you use to synch it?
I built my own, but I eyeballed everything, so I don鈥檛 think I really synced anything. I bought an actual tool that鈥檚 coming today. It ran fine before the sync, just after the sync it didn鈥檛 want to idle and made weirder noises than it normally does. Probably just need to be actually synced. Will update later today

1 - 20 of 59 Posts