Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i was involved in a motorcylce accident on April 25 on my ex500, i just heard news that it is in fact going to be totaled out but have not recieved a figure yet, it is a red 95 ex500D, my question is, is there such a thing as buying back the bike for a fee and then being able to part it out? is this wise or a waiste of money? or do they even do this?

·
Premium Member
25,165 Posts
well, it's only as wise as what you can get for it. if you buy it back and part it out, you still have what ever's left that they gave you. it might total out for 2000 bux, but the buy back would be 800... if you think you can get more than 800 bux back in parts, go for it. it'll take a while though.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yea thats my worry, i wonder if i should just let them deal with it, thanks for the advice and help...

anymore advice would be helpful

D

·
0 Posts
I'd say part it out. The parts are worth so much more. Wrecked my '91 and essentially broke off the plastics and the oil pan and it was going to cost me $3k to fix it if I bought everything new. Luckily I got some deals on some used parts and have only spent about $600, but the point still stands.

·
Registered
94 Posts
If you like taking things apart, dealing with people, and making a few bucks, then buy it back, take it apart, and sell the parts one at a time on Ebay (or this forum)

If you have better things to do with your time (like show for a new bike) then spend your time doing that instead.

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
Some companies allow it, others don't, that's up to your insurer. Most times the buy back is cheaper than the sum of the parts, but as said above you also have to devote time and such (and ebay/ad listing fees). If you're going to turn around and buy another EX and you really like the one you already have then you should start pricing parts now and see if you think it's worth the trouble of rebuilding.

If the frame is bent or broken I'm going to say ditch it, anything else (short of an engine being trashed) is pretty easy mechanically.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yea the frame is bent, and with a bum leg i cant and wont be able to take it apart for a long time, so i think i will just let it go, thanks for all your help guys, i really appreciate it!

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
Have a quick and painless recovery :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts