Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

FOG PLEASE COME INSIDE- Cone Filter Manifold

10895 Views 74 Replies 17 Participants Last post by  fog
Hey Fog, My name is Matt. Ive looked around the board and quickly realized youre one of the most knowledgeable people concerning the ex500. And because of that I wanted your input and thoughts on real life application- Im a gear head at heart with a nerdy math mind and a degree in engineering and have been designing custom intake and exhaust set-ups for a couple years. Overall from your input and others opinions the Cone filter setup makes the ex500 fall flat on its face, and from a simple math point of view the basic reasons is the air would cause to much turbulance to develope a charged static flow(lack of coordination between between air speed, ample stable air, and valve opening timing) and have a lack of necessary required stable air to fill each cylinder. To get to my point however, have you ever attempted to use various lengths of pipes to be able to utilize pod filters?
1 - 20 of 75 Posts
?
G
Why would you want to when the airbox is so effective at what it does? It's probably a lot more compact than any extended tube hanging off the carb, too.
Viciona?? And why does anyone do anything Forbin? In my current situation it would be to change wgen and where the torque and rwkw(hp) develope. And also for aesthetic purposes, the air box on mine is quite large and bulky.
Superslow911 said:
Viciona?? And why does anyone do anything Forbin? In my current situation it would be to change wgen and where the torque and rwkw(hp) develope. And also for aesthetic purposes, the air box on mine is quite large and bulky.
?=why. I also wondered why you would go through the trouble when it works well.
The stock airbox with the hole in it worked the best when they got down and dirty on a dyno a gazillion years ago. Every week the forum gets someone to raise the question of whats wrong with pod filters. The answer is they just dont work as well. It was proven and thats that. I challenge you if you insist that you have something here, to get it developed and dynoed including a true test vs. The stock airbox with the hole in it. Oh, And post all results please
there's a difference tho, the typical pod question don't include
"i'm a mathematical nut job and i'm going to design and build an airbox that's going to change my tq value by the difference in shape sized and other attributes"

the typical is
"ebay said it'll give me 15hp so i just put them on...why won't it run right? i threw my airbox in the trash..."
I'm waiting with baited breath.

FOG
Haha point taken!! Volume wise each cyclinder needs 236242you cubic mm of available air. Thats number dimension wise doesnt match the speed of air bouncing between the valves and the pods... stay tuned more math to come...
Air/sound runs at approximately 396241mm/s, next on the math list is determining the amount of time each valve is closed during any given rpm.

And just for the record- this will be designed for a stock engine. A cammed engine, raised compression or larger valves will not be taken in to the equation
I'll wait with FOG, having a beer, ;D
Superslow911, Don't forget to factor in the altitude, relative humidity and air temperature.
[wdot * sqrt(thetat)]/[A * deltat] = .59352 * M * [1 + M^2 * (g-1)/2]^-[(g+1)/(g-1)/2] lb/sec/in^2

Back to my Tuborg.
I said I'll wait, and I am. But I gotta say "I love the boy geniuses that think they can out do 30 Japanese engineers that get paid a couple of billion yen, with a 2 dollar calculator and High school math."

The thirty Japs did all the sums,and guess what they came up with.......Ta Da The airbox.

FOG
Reactions: 1
Wow, high school math. Thats cute, my high school math payed off my house last year(Im 26 y.o). And allowed me to purchase a Rapide- so im pretty happy with it lol

And that formula you posted is actually incorrect- nice try though.

Plus I never claimed to know more than 30 asians , but youre probably right. Im sure their high school math couldnt have came up with "The Fog" mod(no disrespect Fog) aka drilling holes in an air box.

Basically the conclusion anyone could come to with that mod being effective is either they didnt spend alot of research dollars on the airbox, or it was designed for other purposes- say economy, reliability, cost of manafacturing etc

Doubt the ex5 was designed with performance as the main focus. Just sayin my. 02
  • Haha
Reactions: 1
My brother gave me the same speech when I was 12 and wanted to change the spark plug on the riding mower, I thought maybe I could make it run better with a different plug. He set me straight and that was in the early 1970s. Same exact speech- "what, you think you're smarter than the 20 engineers at briggs and stratton"?
G
Obvious troll is obvious.
Furtz said:
Superslow911, Don't forget to factor in the altitude, relative humidity and air temperature.
[wdot * sqrt(thetat)]/[A * deltat] = .59352 * M * [1 + M^2 * (g-1)/2]^-[(g+1)/(g-1)/2] lb/sec/in^2

Back to my Tuborg.
And whether you are riding backwards to increase wind going up your ..... Oh never mind
I say go for it.

As far as the " you think you know more than 20 engineers" comments, I tend to disagree to an extent with that.

Why?

Now, this has NOTHING to do with the EX, but I have found several things I have re-engineered that worked better than the way it was originally designed and developed. So has FOG.

But Ron, how can that be?

simple- cost.

The EX was/ is/ and always be a budget minded bike. The best you can do within a certain budget. Bean counters always win when it comes to low-buck products.

Will you "build a better mouse trap"? I have no idea. Is it possible? only one way to find out. ;)
See less See more
1 - 20 of 75 Posts