Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

441 - 460 of 467 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Got my FOG bones ordered, shipped, and installed in less than a week. Nice. Haven't had a chance to ride it yet, but just rolling around in the driveway I can tell I like the height difference. It also gave me a chance to grease the pins with some moly grease I had leftover from my past shaft drive bikes.

My only problem so far is that my center stand is now unusable without something under it. The rear is just too tall and it wants to lean off of the stand, even at a slight uphill.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Two sets installed tonight. Sure enough, before and after measurements showed a 1.5" increase in rear height. We were supposed to test them at Hallett this weekend, but alas the weather is not cooperating and the event was cancelled.

THANKS FOG!

·
Registered
19,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #450
You will find the new swing arm angle aligns it with the thrust vector, and will allow you to get on the gas sooner/harder coming off a corner.
He who gets on the gas first wins!

FOG

·
Registered
2 Posts
Best Mod I've made

Bill,
Thanks so much for sending me your creation.

They were easy to install, fit the bike perfectly, and the only thing I have to do now is adjust the headlights.
put them on the first moment I could, and I can't believe how much the bike has changed in response and feel.
I completely stopped bottoming out and I can turn so much harder and easier now. The ride is also more comfortable position-wise and the bike seems to be acting better in all ways possible. seems like the best mod i could have ever made!

Thanks again

·
Registered
68 Posts
Well the FOGbones are installed. This is a different bike and I need to get familiar with it all over again.

She's really snappy and I'm feeling like low speed parking lots maneuvers will be much more difficult for a bit, but will have much more potential.

The on the centre stand, the rear tire is now touching the ground, before the mod, there was 3-4 inches there.

Attachments

·
Registered
19,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #455
I have stated repeatedly that FOGBONES are about handling. Their main purpose is to align the swing are angle with the thrust vector of the rear tire ( Vector = The invisible line force follows under acceleration) to prevent squatting under acceleration. This allows getting on the gas sooner/harder off a corner, We all know "he who gets on the gas first wins"
Some fringe benefits are: a steepening of the fork angle,(rake) which shortened the trail. this provides quicker steering.
An improvement in Brake performance due to greater weight transfer. The harder you press the front tire to the pavement the greater the CF thus the more braking power that can be applied
A increase in cornering clearance.
A Improvement in cornering stability due to increased vertical polar moment ( the speed at which the bikes changes attitude).
Some downsides (for some)
The bike seat height is raised, the stands don't work the same (race bikes don't have stands, once your mounted seat height don't matter).

That the whole bag for FOGBONES take it you'll love it.

FOG

·
Registered
68 Posts
I have stated repeatedly that FOGBONES are about handling. Their main purpose is to align the swing are angle with the thrust vector of the rear tire ( Vector = The invisible line force follows under acceleration) to prevent squatting under acceleration. This allows getting on the gas sooner/harder off a corner, We all know "he who gets on the gas first wins"
Some fringe benefits are: a steepening of the fork angle,(rake) which shortened the trail. this provides quicker steering.
An improvement in Brake performance due to greater weight transfer. The harder you press the front tire to the pavement the greater the CF thus the more braking power that can be applied
A increase in cornering clearance.
A Improvement in cornering stability due to increased vertical polar moment ( the speed at which the bikes changes attitude).
Some downsides (for some)
The bike seat height is raised, the stands don't work the same (race bikes don't have stands, once your mounted seat height don't matter).

That the whole bag for FOGBONES take it you'll love it.

FOG
I feel better about getting back on the gas while leaned. I notice less wallowing than before.
I needed to reduce my initial counter steering input. The bike turns in more willingly and needs less.

For now i'm being cautious because it feels like a totally different bike.
I'm happy with the way it handles now and I'm looking forward to how it will ride once I've adjusted to it.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Are these still being made? Looks like the last post was about a year ago.... or shall I just email Fog?

update - never mind, found the details once I read it again. :( Looks like they are still made.

·
Registered
19,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #458
Like the Add says ,I will remove it once I stop making them. 6 brand new shinny black sets ar in stock

FOG

·
Registered
6 Posts
Emailed! 😁

I just need to verify which set to order. I have a 2001swingarm on my 1987 Ex500. I assume I need the gen2 FOGBONES. I just want to be sure before I order.

441 - 460 of 467 Posts