Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Did a search, but didn't come up with anything ...

Has anyone installed those accordion-style fork boots (as seen on most dirt bikes) on your bike? 90% of my riding consists of a 1/2 hour commute on the highway amongst enough traffic that rocks and sand kicked up by other vehicles are a bit of a concern as far as the longevity of my forks and their seals are concerned. It's not just rocks either - After only owning the bike for 3 weeks or so I've already had a couple big bugs get lodged 1/2 way under the dust caps.

I actually machined some plastic protectors that clip around the lower (outer) part of the forks and extend up about 4" in front of the inner fork tubes. The problem, however, is I didn't quite check closely enough for clearance and the parts I made won't clear the lower fork clamps (seemed like they would be OK but when actually installed they sit just a tiny bit too close to the inner tubes - DOH!). I could make some more, but I figure fully enclosed boots would be even better, even though I'm not that keen on taking the front end apart to slip them on.

So, anyone put boots on their bike? If so, how much work is it? Or, even better, can you get split boots that you can slip on without taking anything apart (like those cheap aftermarket CV boots for cars)?

Thanks,

Brad.

ps. My bike is a 2007 Ninja 500

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
They are fitted on mine. got a set for 10$ canadian

Remove front wheel, let the brake caliper dangle from it's hose, take the forks off the tripple tree (2 bolts each) and voilà ! That's the correct way to do it.

The fork boots I've got are huge though, so I managed to just remove the front wheel and the caliper and slide the boots up the fork.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks! Those are exactly what I want.

I'm still not fanatical about taking the front end of my new bike apart, but I'm sure when I get into it, it won't be that bad. Besides, once done I'll sleep better at night knowing my forks are nicely protected. :p

Mysterious why Kawasaki (or any manufacturer for that matter) don't have boots as standard equipment on all bikes. Would probably add all of $2 to the manufacturing cost ...

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
Many think it looks bad.. Besides, they make more money having peoples running to the dealership to get their fork seals changed ;)

·
Registered
146 Posts

·
Registered
3,881 Posts

·
Registered
3,549 Posts
I need some too! They used to have them on European and Brit street bikes, and the early Japanese bikes, but I think the customers deemed them "woosie" and they disappeared

·
Registered
3,549 Posts
I forgot to mention that I found some new ones available on ebay, but have been unable to locate the seller/store.
I will keep searching, otherwise I'll get them elswhere.

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
I've got the Hippo Hands version with reflective material on them. Work fine. They go up high enough to protect and can be taken off and replaced in seconds.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts