Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to take a shot at cutting my front springs to stiffen them and change the fork oil while I'm at it. How much disassembly is necessary to do that? The book (Clymers) says to take the whole front end apart, but that sounds like it increases the chance of me messing something up ;). It almost looks like if I took off the risers I could get to the top cap and attempt it from there. Is that just wishful thinking or is it possible to shortcut and save some work?

Thanks

·
Registered
19,390 Posts
Yep , All you need to do is remove the bar risers from the triple clamp , leave all the cables and wire connected.

Obtain a two legged wheel puller to hold the fork plug down wilst you fish out the snap ring. Loosen the top fork pinch bolt and relaese the puller the plug should get pushed out by the spring.
Tip bend the last 1/8" on the snap ring up and inward to ease it's removal the next time.

FOG

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
A spare guy and a phillips screwdriver can get you by without a puller if need be. Make sure it's a big guy. The caps on my bike had milled indentions in the top, I stuck the screwdriver in that to keep it from sliding around and just pushed down while my buddy fished out the snap ring. You'll need a bit more elbow grease to get it back in with the spacers put in, but we still got it back together with minimal problems.

Just be sure to wear eye protection and don't stand directly in the line of fire if you use this method :D.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts