Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found a little oil (about a teaspon worth) around the dust boot and on the bottom portion of the left fork (part connected to the wheel). Wasn't a whole lot but there was a good bit of grime on the silver part close to the triple tree. The the front end doesn't lean any (not noticeably at least), so I was wondering if Im needing to replace the seal or if it was a normal byproduct of the forks bottoming out?

·
Registered
19,369 Posts
Re: Fork Seal porblem?

No it's not normal, take a fine oilstone and go all over the fork tubes with it looking for knicks. You may get lucky and not have to change the seal, if it continues to leak...

FOG

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

oilstone is the same as a whetstone, right? and will I have to take them apart to do this, or is the parts already visible the only portion I need to rub on?

·
Registered
19,369 Posts

Just the visable portion, That's how the stone nicked it.

FOG

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

sweet, thanks.

if it does continue to leak that means I'd have to purchase new forks, wouldn't it? I hope this fixes the problem, because that would be really expensive (for me).

·
Registered
19,369 Posts

no , just new seals.

FOg

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

well I rubbed with a fine whetstone yesterday, and no oil leaked. odd it didn't even seem like I was doing anything.

·
Registered
19,369 Posts
You were one of the lucky ones. That will show you how small a nick it takes to cause a seal to leak. Think Meteor Crater in Micro.

Also why do Mfgrs. leave the critical fork surface exposed? A twenty Dollar pair of Gaitors would prevent that damage.

FOG

·
Registered
6 Posts
Thanks FOG/gang for the awesome correspondence. My front right fork was leaking and I felt around with my fingers and found the nick in the fork.... I'll be looking for an oilstone this week.

Now, I've found puddles of oil on my rim that presumably leaked from the fork. Even if I sand down the nick, if there are no more leaks, am I free to just continue riding or do I need to replace the seals and replenish any loss fluids?

Thanks again!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts