Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Replaced fork seals as one was weepy. Easy job, I decided to replace inner and outer bushes with donor bikes low mileage units as the main rider had over 40,000 on them, teflon on old ones looked ok fyi, but I figured wtf. I did the dampening rods too as they have a plastic collar on them, (you could simply remove it too I guess.)


Something I always do is inspect the fork legs before I install the new seal, in this case I missed two nicks which probably resulting in the failed seal. Bike is an 04 model with 44,000 on the forks, so I can't complain. I dressed the dings with some files and finished it with a cross hatch pattern with emory cloth. Looks good - topped off with the fork oil I use and buttoned everything up.



There are some pictures I took for grins. I got to use my nice seal driving tool I bought from K&L a while ago, I had the oil and seals on hand so no trip to the store. Its funny, as much as you work on something, sometimes something still bites or just Fuc*s with you. I was re-installing front wheel and I always take the speedo cable off and install the housing along with the axle spacer separately then install the cable to the housing when I am done installing wheel. I was tightening front wheel and was using a torque wrench which I rarely use, (I use it on the rear nut though) anyway, I was not getting a click and was like WTF I tried turning the wheel and it was stiff. In the end, I just relied on my calibrated elbow and everything was happy. Wheel turned nice and freely. Nice to share mechanical stuff. Peace
 

Attachments

·
Administrator
Joined
·
3,630 Posts
Yeah, every time somebody posts about work he's done it always gives me a little boost to the motivation.
 
1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Top