Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, I am looking in improving my front suspension but I would like to make all those experiments on another spring than the original one.

Does anyone know if they are compatible between generations ? Got a 1990 and would like to fit a 1994+ in there.

Many thanks

·
Registered
4,348 Posts
For what its worth, 2nd gen springs are 1 1/8" diameter, and 17" long. not sure about the spring rate. I'm pretty sure first gen springs are like 20something inches long, but not positive.

·
Registered
146 Posts
You might look at the Ninja 250 springs. The forks are 36 MM. I'd expect the springs to work and spacers to give the correct preload. They are even softer than EX500 springs so they would require even more to be cut. Just make sure that you do not cut so much that you get into coil bind.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
I used cut down (shortened) spring from a '74 CB500T on a racer. They worked.
If they fit and are the right spring rate, they will work. The bike won't know the difference!

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So let me realign the question ;)

Are 1st and 2nd gen the same spring rate and the same diameter ?

;D

·
Registered
244 Posts
Diameter and length are all that matters since you'll be chopping it. You just need to know the spring rate of the original spring (which was said earlier in this thread) and then do the calculation from there. Keep in mind that the extra 3" in length on the 1st gen means if you get a 2nd gen you'll have to add 3" more spacer on top of however much you chop off. I was already putting 6" of spacer when I chopped my 1st gen, so that'd up me to 9" - a pretty hefty length.

I'll measure the diameter on my 1st gen chopped off piece if you want, but it won't happen until later tonight.

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Great ! We are making progress. Yay ! :D

·
Registered
244 Posts
You're close... See attached.

I was wrong earlier - you probably won't have to chop off quite so much on the 17". Do the calculations and see if you're comfortable with that much spacer.

[attachment deleted by admin]

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Do you think a 1 1/8 inch spring fit in the 1st gen forks ?

This spring seems to be 1 inch diameter, is there some extra space ?

I'd love the answer this one but the bike is 100km away right now.. :-\

·
Registered
244 Posts
I have the actual forks with me today... It'll be tight, but it looks like it just might. Sorry for the lack of a decent measuring device...

[attachment deleted by admin]

·
Registered
244 Posts
And actually putting the spring in there, it looks like about 3/16th of free space. You'll be cutting it close, but I think it'll fit (assuming the measurement for the 2nd gen is correct).

·
Registered
146 Posts
I just measured my stock 2nd gen springs using a 12" adjustable wrench, and tightening the wrench until the coils would slide with with some friction. Just a hair tighter would result in the coils not sliding through.

I measured the coils right at 30mm or just shy of 1 3/16"

·
Registered
3,549 Posts
Frog:

I just discovered that I have a set of progressive fork springs that have seems like they will work on the ex. I have them in a racetech box, I never installed them on the other bike (kawasaki zl) and used the racetech instead.
(The race tech springs have the same part number as the zl.)

I would use them myself, but am going to get a set of racetech springs, cause I want a stiffer front end (don't we all!)

You are welcome to have them FREE, just pay for postage. PM me if you want and I will give you more info.

Mike in PA

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Wow ! :eek:

Offer taken !

·
Registered
3,549 Posts
Frog: I sent you a spring measurement via PM. It looks like they should fit, no problem. Talk to you soon.

·
Registered
19,363 Posts
The 2nd gen springs will Not fit a 1st gen set of forks.

FOG

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks for sharing your experience FOG.

I think my problem is solved now though. exer sent me a set that seem to have the same diameter as the 1st gen but they look a little longer than needed. Besides, they are progressive springs.

I'll most likely ask for your experience in suspension tuning in the next weeks :)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts