Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was about to put a fork stem mount on my bike when I removed the cap to my suprise I don’t see a typical fork stem gap like on every other bike I’m faced with a bolt, anyone one know what happens if I take that bolt off? Lol or is there a better mount to use.

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
Do you mean a pinch bolt on the upper triple which clamps to the stem of the lower triple? Trying to picture this...

·
Registered
73 Posts
It helps to mention exactly what EX500 it is, in case there's any differences from one year to the next.
From the diagrams at Partzilla, the Ninja 500 forks I've seen are basically the same as my 81 KZ650-CSR.

The bottom allen bolts can be difficult to remove & may require a special tool that you drop down inside the forks to keep the inner cylinder from spinning. A homemade tool may work. On my old 650 the head of the inner cylinder looks just like a 12-pt 19mm socket, so I use a bolt w nuts that fit into it. In some cases the spring pressure on the inner cylinder will keep them from spinning. Alternatively, some guys are able to remove the bottom allen bolts using an air gun.

The 2005 has circlips at the top that hold the fork cap seat springs in place & each seat spring has an o-ring, and that stuff can get grungy, so they can require cleaning n stuff to get them out, especially on an older Ninja. Both can go flying, so beware & wear eye protection.

To pull the seals I use an off-the-shelf seal puller from the auto parts store & work at the end of a work table & use milk jug plastic to protect the fork tubes from gouging. Fork seals have a metal ring encased within the rubber, so when you pull them, you have to hook the metal ring. To drive the seals I use 1-1/2" pvc pipe & fittings.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts