Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday I was appalled to find a 1 inch screw jabbed into my rear tire (Sport Demons). It had managed to go strait into the tread at a very oblique angle and when I ripped it out with a pair of pliers no air was let out. I am still driving on it but very carefully. I ordered another tire just to be on the safe side.

Any chance this can be repaired, my sport demons have less than 1k miles on them : (

-Gagi

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
A picture would help :)

Don't ride on it until it's fixed, you don't want to hurt yourself :mad:

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The weird thing is that there is no damage to the inside, because it has not lost any air. Just the outer tread. The nail went in at a very wide angle, so I think the repair would have to be done on the outside? Basically I have one very weak point in my tire that may pop at any time.

-Gagi

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
Humm...I'd call a tire shop and se what they have to say about it . I think someone on here works at one . But that not any help unless they chime in :-\

·
Registered
19,368 Posts
If i hasn't lost air, you haven't lost a tire. The only danger might be to rot, if the cords are exposed. even then , not very likly.

FOG

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think I’m still going to swap it out. I just don't feel comfortable accelerating and leaning thinking that the hole might suddenly crack all the way through.

-Gagi

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
How was yours lodged in there? You should remove it to see if air leaks out. Better you remove it than the road.

I can't believe people leave those things just lying around. The world is not safe!

-Gagi

R

·
0 Posts
I'd just replace it. Being a person always on a tight budget, it would really suck to have to replace a near brand new tire, but just imagine how you'd feel if your tire blew and you dumped your bike at highway speeds!

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
^^ That is if you can feel anything at that point..

·
Registered
91 Posts
Tires don't just explode into a ball of flames. Theres no danger in riding on it. The tread is made it be used and abused by the road. If the screw didn't go through the inner tire and you didn't pull off a chunk of tread while removing the screw, then your fine. The worst possible thing that could happen is you eventually end up with a slow leak. IMO.

S

·
0 Posts
I work at a shop that sells/changes tires. Take the wheel into a shop (any good one will do this for free) and ask them to pull the tire off and check out the inside. We do this (cyclegear) a fair amount for both rubber damage as well as scratches/cracks in the rims.

If anyone in here lives near a cyclegear, buy your tires there, for 15% the purchase price we will replace your tire for free if you encounter a road hazard (nails, glass, blowout).

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
Shoot :(

The closest one is 6 hours away...

Call your boss and tell him to open a shop north of the border ;)

·
Registered
404 Posts
It will start to bubble if it's punctured, check your tire pressure if
there is no leak there is no problem, like FOG said...

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
My new tire already came in, so I will be swapping it out. I will keep the old one and see if I can plug up the hole that was left by the screw that I removed.

Its not like Chunks really fell off but the screw was pretty big, and it had bee in there a while since it was well worn down on one side of the head. There is a slightly visible hole if you look at the right angle.

If the shop does any kind of repairs I will get it fixed. If not I will keep it and see if I can do a self repair.

Would any one be interested in a 130/70 - 17 sport demon rear? Not leaking. I have been riding it for a couple of days no issues. I’m just paranoid so I’m getting it replaced.

If anyone needs a track tire I could give you a good deal.

-Gagi

·
Registered
11 Posts
mine, i noticed it recently.... all you can see is the head of the screw flush w/ the tread.
I'll be replacing it in the next few weeks...
Btw good idea to get a new tire ;)

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Got my new tire installed for $150 out the door. Not too bad, but I will still try to repair my old one. The new one as expected runs great.

Those Sport Demons are awesome!

-Gagi ;D

1 - 18 of 18 Posts