Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My flywheel threw its mags just a week ago 1992 ex500. Have read the forum about gen 2 mod and replacement. But found this
Automotive tire Camera lens Rim Line Font

Looks like a direct bolt on aftermarket fix has anyone used this yet? And is it bolt on and go. As in description

·
Registered
2009 Ninja EX500r
220 Posts
How much is it? It is advertising IMHO a falsehood as I have never ever seen anyone suggest epoxy to fix the magnets.

If it is bolt on and go and same reasonable pricing I would say go for it. Be warned though, have seen many things listed for 87-09 and it was ONLY designed for 94-09 or 87-94 so modifications may still be needed to be a "bolt" on.

Reactions: yorkie

·
Registered
3,131 Posts
That is a new upgraded gen1 compatible unit. It uses the gen2 type magnets that stay put. I have heard of zero problems with them. As to epoxy, there are some who simply replace the epoxy, some who insert what appears to be an alloy ring to hold the magnets in place and other well-intentioned efforts. And, some of them "might" work. The flywheel that you have pictured is purpose built to solve the problem once and for all. They are about 1/3 the cost of the Kawi upgraded unit.

Another option is Wieltronic in Belgium who also sells upgraded flywheels for gen1 500s. I have one but have not installed it yet. They also make a programmable ICU for EX500s, but those would have essentially zero application to a street bike.

Reactions: ghostt
1 - 3 of 3 Posts